Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vulcan4770

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Hiya,

I recently discovered a crack going across my display with a small connecting crack at the bottom left corner of the screen.

I really have no clue how it happened, I don't remember dropping it but I don't have AppleCare.

Any recommendations on what to do with it? Apple charges about $650 sooooo that hurts. I was thinking about selling it broken possibly to get some money back to put toward a MacBook possibly. Do you have any recommendations?

Reid

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Sorry to hear about what happened. :( How bad is the crack? Does the display still fully function otherwise? Does it register touches correctly and does it display content fully? If it does work, I recommend putting on a screen protector (NOT a tempered-glass one).

If the crack goes through the entire thickness of the glass then the structural integrity of the device is compromised and I don't recommend taking it out of the house. I don't know how much you'd get for a broken iPad Pro, but I suspect that it would be worth more to you if you repurposed it (assuming that it still functions).

You could use it as a smart clock/display. Maybe it could be used as part of a digital entertainment center (depending upon the internal storage capacity or streaming services you currently subscribe to). Give it to someone who doesn't have a tablet/computer. Just an example of some ideas.

If it isn't functional, then yes, try to sell it... anything you get would be better than nothing.

Vulcan4770

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Sorry to hear about what happened. :( How bad is the crack? Does the display still fully function otherwise? Does it register touches correctly and does it display content fully? If it does work, I recommend putting on a screen protector (NOT a tempered-glass one).

If the crack goes through the entire thickness of the glass then the structural integrity of the device is compromised and I don't recommend taking it out of the house. I don't know how much you'd get for a broken iPad Pro, but I suspect that it would be worth more to you if you repurposed it (assuming that it still functions).

You could use it as a smart clock/display. Maybe it could be used as part of a digital entertainment center (depending upon the internal storage capacity or streaming services you currently subscribe to). Give it to someone who doesn't have a tablet/computer. Just an example of some ideas.

If it isn't functional, then yes, try to sell it... anything you get would be better than nothing.

yea it is functional, it’s a good size crack but I think a screen protector would hold it together well. The broken value I saw somewhere was $290 a far cry from 1k.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.