Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atreyuxxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Hi There, I own a dual 2ghz G5... It would not start up at all, so I took it into the repair shop and they now insist one of the processors is broken and it will cost me $1200 to fix, I get a feeling that these guys are dodgy... Has anybody else had a processor fail on them, is there a third party I can buy a 2ghz chip from also?

Thanks for your help

atreyuxxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
I am pretty sure they are, maybe subconsciously do not want to splash the cash!

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Any other Mac repair centres near you?

I haven't had a processor fail (touch wood) but i do know they are very expensive :mad:

FJ

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I would try another repair center. If it turns out the processor is dead and it will be $1200 to fix. I would just get a new Mac, there are people that will by a broken mac, but at about half the price for a new Mac, I don't see the use in repairing it. Unless you like to tinker with soldering processors.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
If only one processor is dead you can buy a new one from eBay.

They go for around $99 per processor.

With that being said I have killed a dozen or more processors...

atreyuxxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
If only one processor is dead you can buy a new one from eBay.

They go for around $99 per processor.

With that being said I have killed a dozen or more processors...

really .. i can not find anywhere that sells them indiviually.

mac-apricot

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2007
Miami, Fl
Ripped Off

Hi Guys

Sorry for the late reply. I just though I would add my two cents worth.

There is no doubt u you are being ripped off. A single processor on a G5 is never more than $600, unless its the quad processor. If they are a reputable Service provider they should be charging you exchange price and not stocking price.

I head up a AASP (Authorized Apple Service Provider) down in Miami,FL. We do alot of out of warrenty repairs, especially when customers have come to us after being told it would cost $1000+ to fix in the Apple Store. The reason for this is they have a repair tier level, and as well as the fact they want you to buy a new Mac rather than fix your old one.

Feel free to contact me if you want the exact price of how much a processor would cost for your machine.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.