Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
So I brought my Late 2007 Macbook in for repair last week. The LCD screen looked really terrible. When compared against another Macbook it looked just awful. The "Genius" agreed and they just replaced the LCD and Logic board. I picked it up this afternoon, turned it on, checked out the screen. It looked much better. I was happy.

I brought it home, connected my external USB drive, and selected to boot off of it. Then, I started Carbon Copy Cloner so I could move all my stuff back to the main hard drive (I didn't want to bring it to the Apple store with all my personal information on it).

It ran for about 10 minutes, then turned itself off. Wonderful. It tried to turn itself back on a few times, then rebooted. When it did, it played 3 beeps, then stopped. Great. I took out the battery, reseated the RAM, and tried again. It booted up.

I started CCC again. It ran for 5 minutes, then turned off again. I turned it back on, ran CCC a third time, and it ran for an hour just fine and restored all my stuff. Great I thought, maybe it was just something odd.

It proceeded to work for the next 2.5 hours. I even loaded up WoW and let it sit in a densely populated area for 45 minutes. Fans blazing, no problems. All is well I though. So I quit WoW and left it sitting idle on my desk. 20 minutes later, it turns itself off. Mind you, at this point it was doing NOTHING, just sitting idle. Nothing was running.

Now it won't turn back on. The light comes on, then goes off. Sometimes when I push the button the DVD drive checks for a disc, then it turns off. Sometimes the fan comes on.

I've tried the following:
1. Reset the SMC - no dice
2. Reset the PRAM - no dice
3. Reinstall the Apple RAM that came with it - no dice
4. Remove the battery and use just the power adapter - no dice

I took a video of it. Its on my .mac web gallery. I did this just in case it happens to work tomorrow when I bring it back to the Apple store. Here's the video (for the third time) http://gallery.mac.com/agensler#100159 (if it disappears again I'll fix it in the morning)

Any suggestions would be helpful, I'd like to at least be able to boot it up and delete my information before leaving it at the Apple store.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I did the same...

before I transferred my data to my new BlackBook. I brought in my external hard drive and had the Apple Store just transfer everything onto my new BlackBook right there at the store. So, bring your external hard drive. Good Luck with everything. :eek:

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
It's been sitting over night now, still doesn't work. I guess that's a good thing. I have an appt today, so we'll see what they say.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Brought it to the store today. 5 hours later they determined that the logic board they just installed is bad. For my trouble they swapped it out with a 2.4ghz Macbook, the new model.

Nice.

I had them move my old hard drive to the new machine so I only have 120gig instead of the stock 160. Not a big deal as I only use about 20 gigs.

Just thought I'd post an update.

Sage Harupyuia

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
Brought it to the store today. 5 hours later they determined that the logic board they just installed is bad. For my trouble they swapped it out with a 2.4ghz Macbook, the new model.

Nice.

I had them move my old hard drive to the new machine so I only have 120gig instead of the stock 160. Not a big deal as I only use about 20 gigs.

so everything should be ok now, i hope? :D

you're so lucky t get a new Penryn Macbook just like that. T.T

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA

Nice.

WTG! Congrats and enjoy the latest--)) ;)

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Everything so far seems to be working quite nicely. However, the keyboard on this Macbook seems different than the previous one. The keys have more travel. Has this been noticed by anyone else?

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Yep, the keyboard is much nicer...

Everything so far seems to be working quite nicely. However, the keyboard on this Macbook seems different than the previous one. The keys have more travel. Has this been noticed by anyone else?

and much easier to keep fingers on the home keys. I don't find myself having to STRETCH to hit certain keys anymore, and I seem to be finding all the right keys now. Congrats on your new "Baby!" :cool:

kfordham281

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Nice, a free upgrade for your troubles. For all the problems it sounds like they at least too care of you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.