Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ferjilo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
w Polska
Hi

Some websites when in landscape the fonts are huge, making it a big loss of space and a feeling of a kids toy. I understand some sites are properly optimized and will adapt font size properly but is there any way to surf all sites on tablet mode? I tried with iCab browser, not bad but not perfect...

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Web site layouts are mostly defined by the width of the screen. As a web developer I typically program and test only phone, tablet and desktop size layouts with the main distinction being the layout of elements and the menus used, sometimes showing a bit more items on desktop layouts because they can fit more things. Different phone screen sizes are generally handled by just testing that the layout does not break between say iPhone 5 and XS Max size and is usable in terms of font and button size etc.

Your best bet is to request the desktop site in Safari and see if that works for you. Landscape phone browsing is such a niche that most web developer won't bother taking it into account because it has very low screen height, usually making it a hard to use view when most web sites are designed for vertical scrolling.

Reactions: akash.nu

ferjilo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
w Polska
What’s a tablet mode?! It’s generally either a mobile version or a desktop version.

It’s something in between, kasakka explains it nicely

Web site layouts are mostly defined by the width of the screen. As a web developer I typically program and test only phone, tablet and desktop size layouts with the main distinction being the layout of elements and the menus used, sometimes showing a bit more items on desktop layouts because they can fit more things. Different phone screen sizes are generally handled by just testing that the layout does not break between say iPhone 5 and XS Max size and is usable in terms of font and button size etc.

Your best bet is to request the desktop site in Safari and see if that works for you. Landscape phone browsing is such a niche that most web developer won't bother taking it into account because it has very low screen height, usually making it a hard to use view when most web sites are designed for vertical scrolling.

I do request the desktop version but some pages/forums show a too large font at landscape.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It’s something in between, kasakka explains it nicely

I do request the desktop version but some pages/forums show a too large font at landscape.

Ah yeah he does. That kind of depends on how the said website is developed really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.