Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blue horeshoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
I recently spruced up my late 2007 black macbook, and it's running great. I am however having browser issues. Older versions of chrome and safari both have issues now.

Is there a better web browser option that would work for my old macbook? It is also running 10.7.5, and unless I'm missing something, I can't upgrade if further from there.

THANK YOU for any advice!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I had (now in the closet) a 2007 MacMini that ran Snow Leopard. I had to buy a new computer because the browsers were no longer supported on that OS (10.6.8).
You're just one version ahead and the problem is still there with Lion.

You might find some obscure browser that kind of works on Lion but you'll still run into page rendering problems. I tried doing that too and I wasn't happy with the results.

Unfortunately, the best fix is to get a newer computer. It doesn't have to be brand new, just something a bit more modern than 2007. I think Macs made in 2011 can run High Sierra which still supports all the current browsers.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
On my white MacBook7,1 with 3GB memory I'm still running Snow Leopard and Arctic Fox 27.10.1 and it's one of my favourite MacBooks. It's simply lightning fast at all the tasks I wish it to perform, including web browsing with a few additional tune-up tweeks via the configuration editor.
Also have a second MacBook same model running Mojave with the DosDude1 patch, but of course it needed a memory upgrade, runs out of steam with anything less than 4GB.
Back to Snow Leopard, I've been advised to try the SpiderWeb browser and certainly plan to.
There must be tons of early MacBooks and other early Macs sent to the dumpsters because "the browsers were no longer supported". Crying shame! And even on my much newer Macs I never use Safari and certainly not Chrome, much preferring a highly tweaked and secure FireFox. But everyone to his/her own of course.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I recently spruced up my late 2007 black macbook, and it's running great. I am however having browser issues. Older versions of chrome and safari both have issues now.

Is there a better web browser option that would work for my old macbook? It is also running 10.7.5, and unless I'm missing something, I can't upgrade if further from there.

Firefox Legacy 67 is what you want.

I had (now in the closet) a 2007 MacMini that ran Snow Leopard. I had to buy a new computer because the browsers were no longer supported on that OS (10.6.8).
You're just one version ahead and the problem is still there with Lion.

You might find some obscure browser that kind of works on Lion but you'll still run into page rendering problems. I tried doing that too and I wasn't happy with the results.

Unfortunately, the best fix is to get a newer computer. It doesn't have to be brand new, just something a bit more modern than 2007. I think Macs made in 2011 can run High Sierra which still supports all the current browsers.
In terms of browser support, Lion is a huge advantage over Snow Leopard.

And Firefox Legacy 67 isn't exactly an "obscure browser that kind of works on Lion" with "page rendering problems". It feels and acts just like Firefox 67, because it is a direct port of that corresponding version back to work on Lion. Firefox 67 just came out in May 2019, so you're getting a browser that is only 15 months old in August 2020.

Modern websites including banking and government websites work just fine on it.

You weren't aware of Firefox Legacy because it didn't become available until after you retired your machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: now i see it

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009

I have a late 2008 MacBook unibody aluminum that I just wiped and got ready to play around with. The only browser I found that works well and is the most current version is Brave (brave.com). Brave is a Chrome/Chromium variant with all of Google's tracking and privacy-invading crap blocked, built in ad-blocker and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.