Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franinmuc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Germany
I can't seem to find an answer to my problem using suggestions I've found on the internet so hopefully someone here can help.

I usually use Google as my browser on Safari. Today, while doing a search, I clicked on a URL and noticed that the page I had clicked on suddenly skipped and gave me something else. Didn't think much of it.

Now, I've noticed that when I key in my search query into the URL field on Safari, it will first show a list of search results on a Google page but before I can do anything, it skips to Yahoo. To make it worse, because I live in Germany, the Yahoo page just suggests German sites first. For example, I couldn't find this site at all. Lots of other stuff kept coming up with the extension .de for Germany.

Elsewhere people have suggested:
- clearing your cache/history
- going to Preferences -> General and change homepage from Yahoo to google. It's still showing Google like before. No change.
- going to Preferences ->Extensions and deleting the extension there. I deleted the iTube Downloader which was there although I don't think that was the problem cos I've had it for about 4 days and everything was ok up till earlier today.
- look for a file called Spigot and delete it. I can't find such a file. This should come up when I search under Finder ->My MAC, right?
- look for Searchsettings.exe and delete it. No such file either.
- I've deleted the iTube Downloader file from my applications folder and also the download file.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Many thanks!

franinmuc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Germany
Thanks, Keysofanxiety, for your help. Scan run and the program automatically deleted the threats but there is one left. It says Remedy Failed.
Screenshot 2019-02-10 19.28.52.png

[doublepost=1549823846][/doublepost]Ok. Since it prompted me to restart my computer, I did and now I've got my google page back. I hope the above threat where it says "Remedy Failed" is not important. Doesn't look like a threat to me.

If so, then I guess you did solve my problem. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: keysofanxiety
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.