Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ios3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2022
Hi everyone, I'm trying to switch over from iOS to Android but I'm facing a big obstacle: finding a good browser that's similar to Safari on iOS.

Whatever your thoughts on iOS/Safari are, here are some areas where it excels:
-Minimal/clean ui
-Security and privacy
-Extension support(ad blocking, auto-dark mode on pages)
-Back/forward navigation swiping and buttons
-Great page rendering
-Tab view
-Top/bottom address + tab bar

I've tried many Android browsers such as Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Brave, and Samsung, and they've fallen short of what I'm looking for. Samsung Internet is probably the closest, but the page (and sometimes font) rendering can be off, and tab view and dark mode really isn't great.

I'd appreciate any browser recommendations or advice, I'm all ears. Thank you!

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Samsung Internet or Chrome are pretty much the best on Android and I would argue Chrome despite being a resource Godzilla is many times better than Safari. In fact, Safari is the Bain of my existence on my Mac, iOS and iPadOS. But it is a native browser and I generally prefer them. So I put up with Safari.

On Android Chrome is pretty much King. I can use both OS side by side and I don't see any difference in fonts rendering or page rendering?? Samsung Internet allows for bottom address bar.

Navigation is addressed in settings. You can have the old school arrow Navigation bar or instead of searching for a back button you can just swipe from one side left or right and you are back. Much more intuitive than iOS.

From what you are looking for probably Samsung internet is best. If you have any other Samsung products the browser integrates nicely. And you have bottom address bar. It is safe and secure. Both Chrome and SI use a minimal UI that can be customized.
Hi everyone, I'm trying to switch over from iOS to Android but I'm facing a big obstacle: finding a good browser that's similar to Safari on iOS.

Whatever your thoughts on iOS/Safari are, here are some areas where it excels:
-Minimal/clean ui
-Security and privacy
-Extension support(ad blocking, auto-dark mode on pages)
-Back/forward navigation swiping and buttons
-Great page rendering
-Tab view
-Top/bottom address + tab bar

I've tried many Android browsers such as Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Brave, and Samsung, and they've fallen short of what I'm looking for. Samsung Internet is probably the closest, but the page and font rendering can be off, and tab view and dark mode really isn't great.

I'd appreciate any browser recommendations or advice, I'm all ears. Thank you!

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I'm a big fan of Firefox on Android. Currently using it on my S24+ over all other browsers. What didn't you like about it? It supports nice ad blocker add-ons in addition to dark reader addon, which is the best dark mode addon I've used. I use it on my iPhones with Safari. It renders most web pages properly in dark mode and is automatic based on your phone theme.

It supports password manager add-ons, I use Bitwarden. It is butter smooth and you can set the address bar at the bottom.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Samsung internet most closely behaves like Safari on iOS and is what I use on my Pixel Fold. Also lets you install content blocking extensions, some you can’t do with Chrome (unless that’s changed recently). Too much of Chrome’s navigation is hidden behind the 3 dot menu.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I've tried many Android browsers such as Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Brave, and Samsung, and they've fallen short of what I'm looking for. Samsung Internet is probably the closest, but the page and font rendering can be off, and tab view and dark mode really isn't great.

Don't know if it satisfies your "similar to iOS safari" criteria but my preferred mobile browser is DuckDuckGo.
I've tried all the ones you mention above and prefer DuckDuckGo.

ios3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2022
Thanks for the input everyone!

For now I've decided to just use Firefox as it checks most boxes, plus the privacy, security, syncing, and being open source are great additions. It also blocks media autoplay and the Dark Reader extension auto enables based on the system's theme, whereas others don't have these options or have to be applied manually each time.

I do wish it supported forward swiping, and customizing the navigation bar like Samsung Internet. I just find these add to the overall experience when you don't have to always dig through a 3-button menu. However, it's a great browser and I'll take it!

ios3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2022
For those interested, try out Vivaldi browser. Seems to support everything I was looking for, including media auto-block, and has great gesture support!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.