Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I agree with the determination of OmniWeb as the winner. What would make OmniWeb even better IMO is if it was able to take advantage of the latest WebCore built into Mac OS X.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
not surprised omniweb won, although i only used it b4 for short periods of time

i've prefered the speed of mozilla over everything else.. somehow camino and firefox are slower than moz..
Shiira is pretty darn good but the UI turns me off.. so if only mozilla adopted some firefox features (search bar) and ability to have a custom install.. i'dd def use it.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
SilvorX said:
i've prefered the speed of mozilla over everything else.. somehow camino and firefox are slower than moz..
Strange. My experience has been opposite. And Mozilla's launch time is huge, probably because the program is that much bigger. Maybe you have more memory than me (I've 512M in a dual 1GHz G4.)
SilvorX said:
so if only mozilla adopted some firefox features (search bar)
You can install the Googlebar extension for Mozilla. It's not the same as Firefox's search-bar, but I think it's better.

Also note the search tab in the Mozilla sidebar. In many respects, this is better than anybody else's search facility. You have instant access to Google (and other search sites) and it remembers the search results so you don't have to go back to the search page to browse through all the hits.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
wrldwzrd89 said:
What would make OmniWeb even better IMO is if it was able to take advantage of the latest WebCore built into Mac OS X.
OmniWeb 5.1 beta integrates the latest version of WebCore.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
sjk said:
OmniWeb 5.1 beta integrates the latest version of WebCore.
What I'm saying is that The Omni Group needs to do one of two things:
1. Keep updating OnmiWeb as WebCore gets updated.
2. Abandon the integrated WebCore and just use the one built into the system.

Right now, they've chosen path #1 - they're going to have to keep it up, though.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
wrldwzrd89 said:
What I'm saying is that The Omni Group needs to do one of two things:
1. Keep updating OnmiWeb as WebCore gets updated.
2. Abandon the integrated WebCore and just use the one built into the system.

Right now, they've chosen path #1 - they're going to have to keep it up, though.
Choosing path #2 isn't a panacea either.

WebCore, like any suitably large subsystem, has bugs that sometimes have to be worked around. If it's compiled in to the app, Omni can compile in workarounds for any bugs in the version they're using. If they use the system version, they need to build in workarounds for every version a customer may have (meaning every version Apple has shipped for supported versions of MacOS.) And you'll still have to update this as new versions of WebCore are released to customers.

Second, it dilutes the value of the product in the eyes of some customers. If your app is a wrapper around a system-provided component, can you justify the cost of the product solely on the quality of that wrapper?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
shamino said:
Choosing path #2 isn't a panacea either.

WebCore, like any suitably large subsystem, has bugs that sometimes have to be worked around. If it's compiled in to the app, Omni can compile in workarounds for any bugs in the version they're using. If they use the system version, they need to build in workarounds for every version a customer may have (meaning every version Apple has shipped for supported versions of MacOS.) And you'll still have to update this as new versions of WebCore are released to customers.

Second, it dilutes the value of the product in the eyes of some customers. If your app is a wrapper around a system-provided component, can you justify the cost of the product solely on the quality of that wrapper?
You're absolutely right - I forgot about that. I now see why the OmniWeb developers chose path #1 for their application - it's the best solution for them. In that case, I encourage the OmniWeb development team to keep informed of WebCore updates and build a new OmniWeb when they decide that the updates are worth a new build.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
wrldwzrd89 said:
I encourage the OmniWeb development team to keep informed of WebCore updates and build a new OmniWeb when they decide that the updates are worth a new build.
Is there any doubt they're not already doing that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.