Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Anyone know a good alternative to either:
a) rendering in Bryce; or
b) Bryce itself.

I have a 33 frame animation I am rendering atm at 1280x960 res with superfine anti-a over 2.5 computers (this one is used only when I am not using it) but I STILL can not render even 10% in 1.5Hrs. I will be adding another computer in 1.5Hrs and in 2.5Hrs will have 4 running dedicated but that still does not solve the problem of extreme render times. I know rendering a scene, esp. at such resolutions, takes a while but Bryce is known for being VERY excessive. If I could half my render time while keeping the image looking the same I would be jumping up and down in glee.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
What system(s) are you using???

I recently upgraded from Bryce 3D to Bryce 5 but have not yet done much with it (picked it up on Sunday).

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
uuummmm.... lots of guesses but:

G4 500,
iBook previous model
G4 533
iMac previous model

Not the fastest stuff around but I have used 3D Max on slower PCs and it runs MUCH faster.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Are you trying it under OS 9.x or X?? I would try it under both and see if you get better speed from one or the other. I would also suggest cranking the memory setting under OS 9 to as much as you can spare (only touch the third number, leave the others alone).

I have found that the memory settings can do that under OS 9.x more then anything else..

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
I just looked, the ibook is a 600 and the iMac is a 500
I now have a B+W G3 working on it as well

3 machines in OS 9 (G3 and iMac and G4 500) and 1 in OSX (iBook) plus, later, mine is in OSX

I do not have the time atm to be changing RAM settings and stuff and can not compare OS9 and X because I haven't the time to do the same test on the same machines in different OSs.

I wish I had that time, though.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I make it a habit of cranking the memory allocations for RAM hungry apps under OS 9. Software like Photoshop, Illustrator, Bryce, Poser, Cinema 4D...

Then again, I am probably one of the RAM enhanced :D

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Another one!!!

Bryce have always been the most render time consuming software ever.

The textures are good but it takes for ever and every body have been complaining about that since I saw it 4 years ago.

Besides, what are you doing rendering in such big resolution? used tv resolution at most but for the res 320x240 would be fine or may be 640x480. Take a look to most of the quick times you see are 320x240 or less.

Bryce have been around because is fun and easy to use and the textures are good, but the rendering is the slowest in the market.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Another one!!!

Originally posted by mymemory
Bryce have always been the most render time consuming software ever.

The textures are good but it takes for ever and every body have been complaining about that since I saw it 4 years ago.

Besides, what are you doing rendering in such big resolution? used tv resolution at most but for the res 320x240 would be fine or may be 640x480. Take a look to most of the quick times you see are 320x240 or less.

Bryce have been around because is fun and easy to use and the textures are good, but the rendering is the slowest in the market.

I render so that it looks great on my screen at full size.... good if I want to do presentations.

BTW, what is TV res... I was thinking about making up some folio stuff and using one of these new iMacs to burn a DVD.

I would NEVER give up Bryce unless I could find something just as good and easy to use with a much lower render time on my mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.