Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csonni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
After my 2nd failed Brydge 12.9 Max+ keyboard case for my 12.9 inch M1 iPad (2021), I asked for a refund. A replacement was sent after my first cracked hinge and then the replacement cracked after a few weeks. I was told the first batch had a bad plastic blend and that the 2nd batch would not break. It leads me to believe that it‘s a major design flaw and would recommend that no more are sold until a major redesign with the hinge is done. I like most of the keyboard case, although I couldn’t stand the clicking trackpad so I set it to a light tap for function. I‘m really surprised that Brydge is still selling them (and 20% off as of recent). Any others with the same experience? Here’s a thread at Reddit of users experiencing the same broken hinge but I can’t find the issue mentioned anywhere else.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iPadPro/comments/qdlct9

Last edited:

csonni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Wow. No responses mean that either no one here has purchased the Brydge keyboard or there are no broken hinges?

Dmacaussie

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2020
I bought the 11 max+ but I returned it immediately. It made my iPad Air thicker and heavier than my MacBook. Didn’t give the hinge time to break.

RayLancer

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
I was about to post the question about the 11 Max+ version since that came out much later. I haven't seen any complaints about the 11 version's hinges breaking but that came out in November.

RayLancer

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
I looked at the amazon reviews. I've only seen people talk about the 12.9 one breaking. I'm thinking either the 11" model is too new, or they fixed it, or it doesnt have the same issue since it's smaller/lighter than the 12.9" (most likely less stress on one side of the hinge when opening).

csonni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
I have my 3rd one coming. I’m thinking of reinforcing the hinges with Gorilla tape this time. All I keep hearing is that the first batch had a bad mixture and the plastic was compromised.

csonni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
As far as I can tell, the Gorilla tape has kept the hinges from cracking. A bit unsightly, but it works. I wonder if Brydge has solved this issue.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Wow. No responses mean that either no one here has purchased the Brydge keyboard or there are no broken hinges?
I had a Brydge keyboard for my 2018 Pro. Liked it until the keys started to not work, one by one, in the 10th month. Then the second unit broke as well - this time less than half a year. Brydge did send a replacement, but I looked into Logitech and got the detachable keyboard one. Have not looked at Brydge since.

Now, I have a Magic Keyboard and have not had any issues with it. Much sturdier and better build quality.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Huh… I’ve used Brydge keyboards for years with various sizes of iPads, and have never had an issue with them. I have both the Max+ and Pro+ for the 11 IPP M2 and both work perfectly so far.

I particularly like Brydge due to the weight and that I can use it on my lap with great stability and no tipping issues. I‘m currently using the Pro+ with the 11” IPP M2, and it’s a joy to use. I do find that the Max+ is a bit heavier than the Pro+ and it doesn’t have the little divot to help open the lid.

I’ve used the Magic Keyboard for my 12.9, and didn’t enjoy it for the simple reason that it wasn’t lap friendly and a fingerprint magnet. Otherwise, the MK was an excellent keyboard.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Huh… I’ve used Brydge keyboards for years with various sizes of iPads, and have never had an issue with them. I have both the Max+ and Pro+ for the 11 IPP M2 and both work perfectly so far.

I particularly like Brydge due to the weight and that I can use it on my lap with great stability and no tipping issues. I‘m currently using the Pro+ with the 11” IPP M2, and it’s a joy to use. I do find that the Max+ is a bit heavier than the Pro+ and it doesn’t have the little divot to help open the lid.

I’ve used the Magic Keyboard for my 12.9, and didn’t enjoy it for the simple reason that it wasn’t lap friendly and a fingerprint magnet. Otherwise, the MK was an excellent keyboard.
I've only used Brydge keyboards with 12.9" iPads. Maybe the extra heft is the reason why I've had problems and you haven't with the 11".

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I've only used Brydge keyboards with 12.9" iPads. Maybe the extra heft is the reason why I've had problems and you haven't with the 11".
I used the Brydge keyboard with the 12.9” iPad as well and didn’t have any issues. I know you said that Brydge sent you a replacement, but have you used it at all? If so, did you experience the same issues?

I guess there is a possibility of experiencing a bad batch as with any piece of technology, but again, I’ve never experienced any issues in the years that I’ve been using the Brydge keyboards.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
This is the first I've seen this thread (they come thru so rapidly I can't read everything; usually just scan the first page once a day and the rest go flying by.)
I got the Logitec first (about a year ago?), good quality but didn't fit on my lap, returned it. Then got the Brydge (12.9") and within 3 weeks both hinges broke. I ended up with the Magic Keyboard; 'spensive but it works great, is light, and unlike @beach bum's experience, works on my lap.
Question for the OP: did your Brydge trackpad work okay for zooming? I could always zoom in, but could never, not once, zoom back out using two fingers on the trackpad. Granted, the iPad is right there in front of you so you could do it there, but I'm not too impressed with Brydge.
My iPhone, iPad, macbook and mac studio are all less than 2 years old, so I won't have to worry about upgrading for at least six years, and I may not be around by then (I'm gonna stop buying green bananas soon, too risky... :p)

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I used the Brydge keyboard with the 12.9” iPad as well and didn’t have any issues. I know you said that Brydge sent you a replacement, but have you used it at all? If so, did you experience the same issues?

I guess there is a possibility of experiencing a bad batch as with any piece of technology, but again, I’ve never experienced any issues in the years that I’ve been using the Brydge keyboards.
After receiving the second replacement unit, I gave the unit to someone else who always wanted a keyboard, but didn't want to spend a lot of money for one. I actually wanted to sell the third keyboard, but didn't get any good offers.

I now have the Magic Keyboard (work provided it) and have not looked back. Lapability was better on the Brydge because of the lower center of gravity, but everything about the MK worked better for me (though I do miss the function keys).

HLT3

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2022
I have been looking to see of anyone hashad a problem with the newer Brydge Max + for the iPad Pro 12.9 I bought one on eBay and the hinge faied BIG TIME after 10 weekks of home use??? I attached pics. I reached out to BRYDGE but I have heard nothing back from them. I am really not happy. I will attach pics. Any suggestions?
Damaged BRYDGE MAX + - 3.jpg
Damaged BRYDGE MAX + - 3.jpg Damaged BRYDGE MAX + - 6.jpg Damaged BRYDGE MAX + - 4.jpg Damaged BRYDGE MAX + - 5.jpg

Attachments

• Damaged BRYDGE MAX + - 1.jpg
    Damaged BRYDGE MAX + - 1.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Damaged BRYDGE MAX + - 2.jpg
    Damaged BRYDGE MAX + - 2.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 102

Donovanmculloch

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2022
After my 2nd failed Brydge 12.9 Max+ keyboard case for my 12.9 inch M1 iPad (2021), I asked for a refund. A replacement was sent after my first cracked hinge and then the replacement cracked after a few weeks. I was told the first batch had a bad plastic blend and that the 2nd batch would not break. It leads me to believe that it‘s a major design flaw and would recommend that no more are sold until a major redesign with the hinge is done. I like most of the keyboard case, although I couldn’t stand the clicking trackpad so I set it to a light tap for function. I‘m really surprised that Brydge is still selling them (and 20% off as of recent). Any others with the same experience? Here’s a thread at Reddit of users experiencing the same broken hinge but I can’t find the issue mentioned anywhere else.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iPadPro/comments/qdlct9
My Wife had the same experience exactly. This is a major design flaw. They replaced my wife’s keyboard with one that has the same design flaw.I have one of the older keyboards and do not have this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.