Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVR2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
I've just started trying to use BTMM to transfer files between my MBP and mini (both running 10.5.8)

Screen sharing works fine in both directions, but file sharing only works when I'm using the mini to connect to the MBP. If I try using the MBP to connect to the mini - which is the main way I want to do it - I get the "connection failed" message.

Both machines are (AFAIK) set up in exactly the same way. The potential complicating factor is that the MBP connects to the net using an Airport Extreme, the mini uses an Express. This is because the layout of our concrete-shelled house means that the wireless signal attenuation is so strong that we can't reliably have both computers connected to a single router.

The firewalls on both machines are set up to allow fire sharing and screen sharing. I'm pretty sure that I've set both routers up in the same way, and something must be working right given that both machines can screen-share and the mini can pull files from the MBP.

I did just try taking the MBP downstairs and connecting to the Express, so both the computers were using the same router, but that made no difference - I could only connect to the mini to screen-share, not file-share.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

AVR2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Ahem - I rebooted the MBP and suddenly it can connect to the mini.

Is *my* face red.

Move along, nothing to see here... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.