Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flatjuba

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
I have Powerbook 1.5 ghz which I already owned for more than 16 years. Lately, I heavily used this machine since I installed Sorbet Leopard. However, a month ago, it started to have "a" bubble on the screen. Then, the next day, it has more bubbles.

IMG_9923.jpg

Then, come the snowflake, before becoming more snowflakes

IMG_9924.jpg
IMG_9925.jpg

I'm pretty sure that I need to replace the LCD. But what I want to know, what causes this? How come all of a sudden, the bubbles multiply like crazy and the snowflakes as well. While, I'm not using the Powerbook, it is stored inside the pouch before going into my messenger bag. I use Powerbook because I don't need to browse around the internet too much, concentrating on my things productively.
Please, anyone have a knowledge regarding this, what should I do with the replacement LCD. What should be avoided.
Thanks

IMG_9924.jpg

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Can you feel the bumps of the bubbles on the screen surface ? If it is on the front screen surface, looks like the polarizing or the "matting"(don't know if this is correct English) film is rotting or something...
If it is just the film, it should be replaceable.
A bit like the vinegar effect on older models. Never seen such a thing on more recent G4 PBs...

Reactions: Amethyst1

flatjuba

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
And bacterial growth.

Is it humid where you live @flatjuba?
I live in Jakarta, Indonesia. I kept it inside the laptop sleeve at the room that also has my intel iMac as well as LCD monitor for my house CCTV. Other equipments are out in the open.

flatjuba

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Can you feel the bumps of the bubbles on the screen surface ? If it is on the front screen surface, looks like the polarizing or the "matting"(don't know if this is correct English) film is rotting or something...
If it is just the film, it should be replaceable.
A bit like the vinegar effect on older models. Never seen such a thing on more recent G4 PBs...
Yes, I can feel the bumps.
If I replace the LCD, what would be the way to prevent it to happen again to the replaced LCD?

Reactions: Amethyst1

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Yes, I can feel the bumps.
If I replace the LCD, what would be the way to prevent it to happen again to the replaced LCD?

Sorry I have no idea. From what I've read about the Vinegar effect on older Powerbook, it seem it was more frequent in Japan, in places humid and hot places (south ?), but I've also read reports of that from many other places... so don't take my words for it.
There is in fact a video from a Japanese old computer collector, about how to change the polarizing film:
Maybe the fact that it was stored in a pouch, together with humidity and heat , that concentrated the humidity ?

Edit: after viewing the video again (was some years now since I've first watched it...), indeed it's better to store it in a way the lcd is kept aerated. So no pouch.

Last edited:
Reactions: flatjuba
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.