Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Hi,

It's probably been 5 or more years since I last used an Android phone, but I have the itch to try one again.
I generally buy budget/midrange handsets (currently using iPhone SE 2020).

I suspect I will be happy with a Pixel 6A.

Requirements

* Must support 5G - other than the itch to try Android again, this is the main reason I want a new phone.
* Don't want to pay more than I would pay for a new Pixel 6A (currently on sale for $299 / £299).
* Don't want a phone which is physically larger than a Pixel 6A (which is already slightly larger than I would like).
* I'd be happy to consider used/refurb phones, but I want there to be at least 2 more years of security updates due on the phone.

Anything other than Pixel 6A worth me considering?

Thanks

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Are you in the UK? If so, the Pixel 6A is currently available at £199 (£299 with minimum £100 trade-in; people buy an old iPhone 5C off eBay to get this discount). Currys also have the regular Pixel 6 at £299 without trade-in; Amazon have it at £349 with Pixel Buds A-Series.

Reactions: ozaz

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Are you in the UK? If so, the Pixel 6A is currently available at £199 (£299 with minimum £100 trade-in; people buy an old iPhone 5C off eBay to get this discount). Currys also have the regular Pixel 6 at £299 without trade-in; Amazon have it at £349 with Pixel Buds A-Series.

Yes, had noticed the trade in boost for the 6A, thanks.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011

I ended up getting a Pixel 6A. Paid £299 and received £138 trade in for an old iPhone 6S I had as a spare. That's probably £100 more than I would have got selling it on eBay.

Been using for 2-3 weeks now and am very happy with it. Although I'd used some Android phones a few years ago, this is my first experience of a Pixel phone and software experience feels just as refined as iPhone to me.

Only thing I miss is Airplay. That's mainly because I frequently used Airplay to send audio to Sonos speakers (bypassing Sonos app). Unfortunately Sonos doesn't support Chromecast. As there are other ways to control Sonos, I think I can live with it but it's a shame Chromecast isn't supported.

Reactions: The_Interloper

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Only thing I miss is Airplay. That's mainly because I frequently used Airplay to send audio to Sonos speakers (bypassing Sonos app). Unfortunately Sonos doesn't support Chromecast. As there are other ways to control Sonos, I think I can live with it but it's a shame Chromecast isn't supported.
See if this works for you.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
See if this works for you.

Thanks for suggestion. However, I don't like using voice services to control music playback (particularly when it comes to initiating playback). Have tried in the past, including with Google Assistant.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Yeah, I get your point. I don't like saying Okay Google or Hey Siri. That's cringe worthy to me.

For me its not really that. It's more that I just find it much easier to locate what I want through an app compared to voice commands. Also, the voice services only support a limited number of apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.