Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colinchuang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Australia
Anyone else running Mojave having an issue with the Calculator and the percentage function? I keep getting an "error" when trying to do the calculation...and have replicated it on other computers using Mojave. It worked fine up to High Sierra...

So basically, do a calculation like... "200 - 15 %" using the "%" button and it just says "Error"...

I use the % button a lot...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 12.57.37 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 12.57.37 pm.png
    141.8 KB · Views: 4,137

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Anyone else running Mojave having an issue with the Calculator and the percentage function? I keep getting an "error" when trying to do the calculation...and have replicated it on other computers using Mojave. It worked fine up to High Sierra...

So basically, do a calculation like... "200 - 15 %" using the "%" button and it just says "Error"...

200-15%{30}=170

...manually with mouse, and typing with the keyboard.

Moj 10.14 (18A391) on MBP

Regards, splifingate

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Haven’t tried it, but you should file a bug report if it turns out to be the app.

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2017
Australia

I was having the same type of issue with PCalc - I'd input a number then, say, click + and error would appear kust like that picture.

jiminoz

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008

[doublepost=1540113591][/doublepost]Yes, I have this exact calculator error. I found this post searching for a fix. Very frustrating as I too use the % function often.

colinchuang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Australia
[doublepost=1540113591][/doublepost]Yes, I have this exact calculator error. I found this post searching for a fix. Very frustrating as I too use the % function often.

At least I know I'm not the only one having the error. What was the post? Sorry I can't see it for some reason. Some people are saying it doesn't affect macOS users with a fresh build but only those that upgraded (although it should still just work)....however, I am fighting an iMessage issue that is apparent with every fresh build since macOS 10.11...when the location setting was taken out...super frustrating that simple things get taken out that break big things...
[doublepost=1541546297][/doublepost]
Haven’t tried it, but you should file a bug report if it turns out to be the app.

I tried logging a bug report but all I got was that they couldn't replicate the issue...it's not like I'm making it up.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
At least I know I'm not the only one having the error. What was the post? Sorry I can't see it for some reason. Some people are saying it doesn't affect macOS users with a fresh build but only those that upgraded (although it should still just work)....however, I am fighting an iMessage issue that is apparent with every fresh build since macOS 10.11...when the location setting was taken out...super frustrating that simple things get taken out that break big things...
[doublepost=1541546297][/doublepost]

I tried logging a bug report but all I got was that they couldn't replicate the issue...it's not like I'm making it up.
I can’t replicate it in 10.14.1 either.

Cuppa500

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
Gleaned from a post in Apple Support forums courtesy of a user named GUE Diver....
It is a bug in 10.14 and 10.14.1 which affects users who choose either English(Australia) or English(NZ) as their primary language.... possibly some other (unknown?) languages too? The fix/workaround is simple. In Sys Prefs /Language& Region, change primary language to either English(US) or English(UK) & the percentage error will be gone.

Hopefully it might get rectified in 10.14.2?

Last edited:

timmehh

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2018
Gleaned from a post in Apple Support forums courtesy of a user named GUE Diver....
It is a bug in 10.14 and 10.14.1 which affects users who choose either English(Australia) or English(NZ) as their primary language.... possibly some other (unknown?) languages too? The fix/workaround is simple. In Sys Prefs /Language& Region, change primary language to either English(US) or English(UK) & the percentage error will be gone.

This worked, thank you very much!

I added English (US) and set as Primary.
Quit System Preferences, it'll ask for you to restart, i clicked NO.
Open Calculator and tested that % works, which it did.
Re-opened System Preferences and removed English (US), so now i just have English (AUS) only.
Tested calculator, and still works now with English (Aus) set!

Reactions: Glendamaree

Glendamaree

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
This worked, thank you very much!

I added English (US) and set as Primary.
Quit System Preferences, it'll ask for you to restart, i clicked NO.
Open Calculator and tested that % works, which it did.
Re-opened System Preferences and removed English (US), so now i just have English (AUS) only.
Tested calculator, and still works now with English (Aus) set!

I have been having the same problem - very frustrating. I have tried this fix tonight and it worked, except I had to keep my language on English (Canada) to keep it working. You didn't have to restart after removing the English (US) did you>

macarthurdent

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2019

I'm in Mojave 10.14.1 and I had to stop using the calculator because of this bug. I use English(Australia) as I don't get the option to use English(NZ) even though I live there! But I changed the primary language first to English(US) which fixed the problem and now to English(AUS). The Calculator App is working again now. Thank you Cuppa500!

Last edited:

macarthurdent

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2019
You should be updated to 10.14.6 and all the security updates that have come after. Does the bug still happen in 10.14.6?
Yes, you're right, but this mid-2014 MacBook Pro won't update to 10.14.6 for some reaon. I don't want to upgrade to Big Sur or Catalina because I have some 32-Bit Apps that I need on this Mac and also it has a cracked screen which is useable but could fail at any time and then I will need to use my external screen that I bought for that purpose.

But I've bought a 2017 MacBook Pro and migrated everything from Time Machine. I will upgrade that Mac to Catalina for now and keep the older Mac as it is for use with 32-Bit Apps etc. Having said all that, your fix worked for the Calculator bug on this old Mac! Much appreciate your help.

Updated to add that the Calculator is working correctly in 10.14.6 on my 2017 MacBook Pro

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.