Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
hi there,
as GERMAN SPEAKING member I just updated my iPhone and iPadPro from IOS 12.4 to 13.4.1

Unfortunately, a part of our alphabet disappears, there are nothing but "German" keyboards without the so- called "Umlaute" like ä,ü,ö, and ß !

At least if you activated keyboards of other languages before!

This made me desperate, becaus these types are often used and - more important - part of our passwords...

There are some very time-consuming methods to type the "Umlaute" by several clicks each time, but I found an easy way for a go-around:

go to the section of "keyboard" and delete all other keyboards than the German, delete even the swiss and/or austrichian keyboard and the smilies.
in my case, I deleted also ALL options like automatic correction and so on...

Then, change the German keyboard to "Deutsch (Deutschland)" . the German keyboard Must be the only keyboard. Important: "Haken" muss sowohl bei "Deutsch" als auch bei "Deutschland" gesetzt werden!

Now you got the "Umlaute" back right on the German keyboard.

Having this done, you can now reactivate keybords of other languages and smilies without any risk to lose the "Umlaute" again...
Reactivation of all further options like Autocorrection and so on is now possible as well without any Risk.

this takes just some seconds and might serve also for problems with keyboards of other languages with special types in their alphabet...

hope this is helpful to others like it was for me...

cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: BBDDVV

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
hi there,
as GERMAN SPEAKING member I just updated my iPhone and iPadPro from IOS 12.4 to 13.4.1

Unfortunately, a part of our alphabet disappears, there are nothing but "German" keyboards without the so- called "Umlaute" like ä,ü,ö, and ß !

At least if you activated keyboards of other languages before!

This made me desperate, becaus these types are often enough part of our passwords...

There are some very time-consuming methods to type the "Umlaute" by several clicks each tume, but I found an easy way for a go-around:

go to the section of "keyboard" and delete all other keyboards than the German, swiss or austrichian keyboard and the smilies.
in my case, I deleted also ALL options like automatic correction and so on...

Then, change the German keyboard to "Deutsch (Deutschland)" . the German keyboard mist be the only keyboard.

Now you got the "Umlaute" back right on the German keyboard.

Having this done, you can now reactivate keybords of other languages and smilies without any risk to lose the "Umlaute" again...

this takes just some seconds and might serve also for problems with keyboards of other languages with special types in their alphabet...

hope this was helpful to others like it was for me...

cheers

Danke, das ist hilfreich.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Thanks. But I think it’s still not possible in the QWERTZ keyboard like before? It was enough to write an U and it corrected it to the right word with Ü on iOS 12.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
Thanks. But I think it’s still not possible in the QWERTZ keyboard like before? It was enough to write an U and it corrected it to the right word with Ü on iOS 12.

I did show how to work with the Full compatible German keyboard again, with the "Umlaute" again.

If I understand your Problem correctly, you are missing the Automatic correction option which corrected for example a wrong "U" to the correct "Ü" in Worts with an "Ü" ?

I wrote this already above...

For That - of course - you habe to reactivate again the autocorrection Option (one of the Switches That are just beneath the keyboard-options). Just Turn on the Switch of the 3 options "Auto-Großschreibung", "Autokorrektur" and "Rechtschreibeprüfung" Again.

After doing this, your Problem should be solved ...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.