Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VitaliLondonChessington

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
I have discovered a bug in iOS 12.0 and 12.2, I am pretty sure this is a bug and not intentional design.

It is passible to disable parental restriction very quickly without losing any data:

Settings > Screen Time > Use Screen Time Passcode

I have set parental restriction on my work phone: NO GAMES, NO MUSIC, NO VIDEOS, NO APPLE STORE.... To prevent waisting my time -- > frends and family are more important.

Procedure:

1. Backup your data to iCloud in this case you are not going to loose anything;)

2. Set Screen Time passcode, enter 4 digits:

Settings > Screen Time > Use Screen Time Passcode

3. Enable setting:
Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > Erase Datata > "Erase all data on this iphone after 10 failed passcode attempts"

Probably it is going to work also when you just erase data, hovever I didn't test it in any other scenarios.

3. Enter your passcode 10 times incorrectly, iPhone will erase all data.

5. Restore data from iCloud

6. AND ALL RESTRICTIONS GONE, and you got your data back.

I have pritty much data on my iPhone and took around 20 minutes to restore

I did quick reserch online - in previus IOS versions below IOS12, when you was restoring from iCloud or from iTunes the back up was restored with parental passcode. To remove it, you have to set up iPhone without restoring from backup.

As far as I see Screen Time is totally useless feuture if you can do it so quickly, without any consequences for your data:(

I would like hear your thoughts on this mater

Best

V

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don’t have the “erase data after 10 failed password attempts” enabled on any phone except mine. Mine is controlled by an MDM solution.

Maybe set a better passcode strategy and disable that option?

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
Unless I misunderstood your procedure it seems you are setting the restrictions after backing up your settings to iCloud.

This might explain why you don't have any restrictions after restoring your device.

jakeenzo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Unless I misunderstood your procedure it seems you are setting the restrictions after backing up your settings to iCloud.

This might explain why you don't have any restrictions after restoring your device.

No when restoring from a backup, if there are current restrictions in place, it should restore those restrictions aswell regardless when the backup was taken.

OP, from your repro steps it does seem that this is indeed a bug. Congratulations! Send it to Apple. They may reward you in app store credit ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.