Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Hello... I just started having this issue in 7.1, but it started a few days after updating. I have sounds to on and maxed. However, when I receive a text, it won't give me the text messages sound. I tested and the sound plays when I'm in the phone, but if the screen is locked, the message will just display. There won't be a sound and the screen won't light up at all.

I've restarted multiple times, closed apps, but nothing.

Anyone else have this issue?

Edit: this also happens to Mail and other alerts. Essentially, I'm not getting any sound alerts when the phone is locked.

Last edited:

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
I get notification sounds on the lock screen. It is possible your upgrade to 7.1 got corrupted.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Wow, I restored the iPhone and it still won't do it. Not sure what happened.

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
It is possible your backup is corrupted. You can restore as new and before you restore backup, try to get someone to send a message to you. If you get a notification sound, it means your backup is corrupted.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I figured out the bug. It's a bug with Do Not Disturb. I had DND set to only be scheduled from 1 am PST to 6 am PST. However, it was blocking all sounds at other times. I turned it off and then on, phone started receiving sound again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.