Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Greetings,

I've noticed in iOS 9.3 PB1 that the sleep/wake button now ends calls, no matter what screen you're on while using wired/Bluetooth headphones. Also, this happens while on speaker phone. I've hung up on numerous people several times due to this never being a thing since my original iPhone. When I'm in a call on my Bluetooth headphones, I turn off my screen, and dump my phone in a pocket. I've buried in numerous settings to see if there's a way to change it back, but to no avail.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any way to go back to where sleep/wake button turns the screen off? Also, if this is intended, is it a welcome change? Thanks in advance for all your help guys/gals.

UPDATE 1/27/16 - Seems to be fixed on iOS 9.3 PB2.

Last edited:

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
I experienced this as well. Don't know if beta 2 fixes this though, haven't tested it yet.

I'm sure we'll find out when PB2 hits. Or maybe someone with the developer version can chime in.

The first day I upgraded, I hung up on my mother 6 times and by the 6th time, when she picked up the phone again, I got the "what the hell is wrong with this piece of **** phone?! You paid how much for these phones?! Blah blah more stuff Italian, New Yorker mother's say when they're mad."

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
This has been a feature since iPhone OS 1..
It's also how you reject calls in the lockscreen.
Tap once to silence. Twice to reject. ;)

Bezares

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
México
This has been a feature since iPhone OS 1..
It's also how you reject calls in the lockscreen.
Tap once to silence. Twice to reject. ;)

Yes, as simple as that.
It was present until iOS 9, I remember that in 9.1 and 9.2 the wake up button didn't ended a call, and for me it was bad because I always used it. Glad to see it is back in these betas.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, as simple as that.
It was present until iOS 9, I remember that in 9.1 and 9.2 the wake up button didn't ended a call, and for me it was bad because I always used it. Glad to see it is back in these betas.
The button ended the call, just not when using speakerphone or a headset.

Bezares

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
México
The button ended the call, just not when using speakerphone or a headset.

I am not very sure but I would say the button ended the call even in speakerphone, I use speakerphone in my shirt pocket when driving and I think (not for sure) I ended calls with wake up button.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I am not very sure but I would say the button ended the call even in speakerphone, I use speakerphone in my shirt pocket when driving and I think (not for sure) I ended calls with wake up button.
The sleep/wake button has never ended the call if you were on speakerphone or using a BT headset. The reason is so you can lock the phone, which turns off the display, to save battery. Occasionally, over the years, there have been bugs like this one in 9.3 that ends the call when clicking the button, but it has never suppose to end the call.

Reactions: Statusnone88

ad931

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Athens, Greece
The sleep/wake button has never ended the call if you were on speakerphone or using a BT headset. The reason is so you can lock the phone, which turns off the display, to save battery. Occasionally, over the years, there have been bugs like this one in 9.3 that ends the call when clicking the button, but it has never suppose to end the call.

This bug has materialises in 9.3.1. I use a Bluetooth headset constantly and instead of locking the screen and pocketing the phone, I now have to carry it in my hand as there is now no way to lock the screen, thereby defying the object of a hands free Bluetooth. Also, after the call has ended, the phone will not auto lock at whatever time one has specified. On the few occasions that I've put the phone in my pocket and ended the call via the headset, pressure from my pocket has called someone else!!!! For me at least, this list feature is VERY ANNOYING!!! this definitely should be fixed.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I have a related question. When placing a call, if I press the home button while the phone is still ringing, it ends the call. Is this normal? I can only press the home button to get back to the home screen after the call is answered without it hanging up.

ad931

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Athens, Greece
Don't forget we should all be submitting this bug report to Apple via Feedback Assistant app installed on your phone.

Did exactly that on the first day PB was out, as I use a Bluetooth headset constantly
[doublepost=1453918863][/doublepost]B
Did exactly that on the first day PB was out, as I use a Bluetooth headset constantly
btw, PB 2 is out. Downloading now

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
This bug has materialises in 9.3.1. I use a Bluetooth headset constantly and instead of locking the screen and pocketing the phone, I now have to carry it in my hand as there is now no way to lock the screen, thereby defying the object of a hands free Bluetooth. Also, after the call has ended, the phone will not auto lock at whatever time one has specified. On the few occasions that I've put the phone in my pocket and ended the call via the headset, pressure from my pocket has called someone else!!!! For me at least, this list feature is VERY ANNOYING!!! this definitely should be fixed.

Absolutely this. I can't even make calls using my headset if I plan on putting the device back in my pocket. Glad I'm not the only one.

Don't forget we should all be submitting this bug report to Apple via Feedback Assistant app installed on your phone.

100% yes. I already submitted my feedback to Apple. That's a big reason they're doing these public betas. Defeats the purpose if we don't express our dislike for something through the proper channels.
[doublepost=1453920100][/doublepost]That was quick. Seems to be fixed in PB2. Didn't try my headphones, just speakerphone. So when playing through the ear piece, sleep/wake still ended the call, but when on speaker, pressing it just turned the screen off.

ad931

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Athens, Greece
Absolutely this. I can't even make calls using my headset if I plan on putting the device back in my pocket. Glad I'm not the only one.

100% yes. I already submitted my feedback to Apple. That's a big reason they're doing these public betas. Defeats the purpose if we don't express our dislike for something through the proper channels.
[doublepost=1453920100][/doublepost]That was quick. Seems to be fixed in PB2. Didn't try my headphones, just speakerphone. So when playing through the ear piece, sleep/wake still ended the call, but when on speaker, pressing it just turned the screen off.

WELL DONE APPLE!!!! Fixed!!!! Pressing the on/off button locks the screen whilst on Bluetooth without ending the call

Without Bluetooth it ends the call just as it used to.

Just goes to show that they do read the feedback a that we submit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.