Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miknos

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
In iOS 9, even with Reduced Motion enabled, you could see which tab you were viewing/switching. In iOS 10, you get lost since you have no idea.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
In iOS 9, even with Reduced Motion enabled, you could see which tab you were viewing/switching. In iOS 10, you get lost since you have no idea.
This is why I have no idea why some people don't like animations. I lose context and get confused as to what is popping up and why.

Apple just completed the setting I guess. It's supposed to get rid of animations. It didn't get rid of the tab view animation before which is zooming and such which I guess some people will find annoying. For some reason.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
What are you guys talking about exactly? How do you "get lost"? (I have Reduce Animation turned on, but don't get what you're referring to...)

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
What are you guys talking about exactly? How do you "get lost"? (I have Reduce Animation turned on, but don't get what you're referring to...)
I'm guessing it's harder to know which tab they were on on when they enter tab view

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
It's harder to know which tab you were on when you go into tab view because there's no transition of the current page moving into the view. It just switches to the tab screen with no context of what happened or where the page went. I feel this way with any animation, they're necessary. They give context. Things that pop up on your screen have a reason/point of origin. I dunno, I must be weird. I just feel kinda overwhelmed/confused when stuff just pops up or disappears with no transition in between.

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
It's harder to know which tab you were on when you go into tab view because there's no transition of the current page moving into the view. It just switches to the tab screen with no context of what happened or where the page went. I feel this way with any animation, they're necessary. They give context. Things that pop up on your screen have a reason/point of origin. I dunno, I must be weird. I just feel kinda overwhelmed/confused when stuff just pops up or disappears with no transition in between.

No, you're not crazy and that's (mostly) why the animations are there. Folders opening and closing for example, anyone familiar with the old spatial finder knows, if only at the back of their brain, why these things are there. Spatial context is important to humans and helps put things in their place, literally and figuratively.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
No, you're not crazy and that's (mostly) why the animations are there. Folders opening and closing for example, anyone familiar with the old spatial finder knows, if only at the back of their brain, why these things are there. Spatial context is important to humans and helps put things in their place, literally and figuratively.
Yeah I've been using iOS for years, since iPhone OS 3. I know what animations will play out and why things are happening, but for some reason having no animations just feels wrong and nothin feels as pleasant. No Safari tab animation though would throw me a lot.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
tbf even with animation, there are still times you might miss it, it'd be handy if they highlighted the last tab you were on. if animations are an accessibility issue then it makes sense the system is just as accessible in other ways with them on or off. this would allow for that.

be great if the screenshots were always up to date and accurate too....

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
be great if the screenshots were always up to date and accurate too....

Yes, that's a good point. I can see why these weren't always up to date on iPhone 3G's but on the beasts we have now there's no excuse!

miknos

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
This is why I have no idea why some people don't like animations. I lose context and get confused as to what is popping up and why.

Apple just completed the setting I guess. It's supposed to get rid of animations. It didn't get rid of the tab view animation before which is zooming and such which I guess some people will find annoying. For some reason.

Reducing motion makes the UI easier to the eyes. Some people even get dizzy looking at the moving background (home screen). I prefer without motion for app switching and Safari scrolling.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA

I guess I see what you mean... I don't remember what the transition was like before. Since you can see a preview of the content of each page in tab view, it doesn't seem terribly confusing to me, but I hear you.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
...OK, after a few Safari-heavy days, now I "get it" and agree this issue is an annoyance.

I wish "Reduce Motion" just turned off the "zooming in and out of apps" animation. I don't mind the others, and it turns out the Safari animation is actually useful.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.