Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
iPhone 13 Pro (iOS 16.4)

Previous thread title: Lock Sound click has been virtually gone since 16.4

(actually gone since I activated Sound Recognition)

Silent Mode is OFF and I toggled the switch to be sure and received the confirmation.

The Lock Sound that you get when turning off your screen with the right-side button has not been at normal volume since 16.4; it's super low. In the past, it was always pretty loud. Now I have volume turned all the way up, and it locks with the volume so low I have to put my ear near the phone to hear it. Everything else, music, ringtones, timers, alerts, etc. is at the normal volume. I have the regular volume of my phone turned up all the way. I have also restarted the phone twice today and once was a hard reboot.

Not a priority, but anyone else seeing this issue or have any ideas?

IMG_8689A9B1C13B-1.jpeg

IMG_516D68094D7C-1.jpeg

Last edited:

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
I found a bug in iOS 16.x ... who would have thought? 🤣

When Sound Recognition is turned on, the volume slider for Ringtones and Alerts indicates full volume, responds at full volume, and the slider has absolutely zero effect on actual volume. It's full volume blasting out even when the slider is set to zero.

IMG_8689A9B1C13B-1.jpeg

Once Sound Recognition is disabled, this volume slider works again. Moving the slider right/left changes the volume of the selected ringtone up/down.

Back to the original issue: The "Lock Sound" click volume is supposed to be controlled by this same Ringtone and Alert Volume slider. However, since discovering the bug and disabling Sound Recognition, I now have ZERO Lock Sound volume no matter what I do.

Last edited:

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
After a hard reboot... volume up, volume down, hold the power button until logo appears, it still wasn't working. Then I noticed the toggle for Lock Sound was OFF (it was ON when I did the hard reboot). I toggled Lock Sound back ON and it seems to be working again. Volume is still a little low considering the fact that Ringtones and Alerts are at 100% volume, but at least it's working halfway normal. :rolleyes:

There you have it. Sound Recognition will completely f***k over your Lock Sound.

Great job with 16.x Apple! Maybe by iOS 20 or 30, we'll have some of these bugs finally sorted out?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.