Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hello,

When I close the Steam client window (but not quit the app) and then click anywhere on the desktop, dock or go to open a folder... etc the steam client window just pops back up again. This is very irritating and sometimes it keeps happening over and over. I have noticed it occurs on all my mac computers and on all version of OSX that I run. (10.6.8 / 10.9.5 / 10.10.5 / 10.11.1)

Knowing Steam support is totally useless and they show no interest in mac... I thought I would post on here and hope someone knows a workaround for this? Does anyone else experience this bug?
Maybe when they drop support for 10.6 in November they might actually start supporting the newer versions of OSX - but I won't be holding my breath!!!

Thanks.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
A workaround?
Quit the Steam app, instead of closing the window.

Not really a workaround as you need the client open when running games. Plus you may want to stay online for friends list and chat etc.

Thanks anyway :)

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Hello,

When I close the Steam client window (but not quit the app) and then click anywhere on the desktop, dock or go to open a folder... etc the steam client window just pops back up again. This is very irritating and sometimes it keeps happening over and over. I have noticed it occurs on all my mac computers and on all version of OSX that I run. (10.6.8 / 10.9.5 / 10.10.5 / 10.11.1)

Knowing Steam support is totally useless and they show no interest in mac... I thought I would post on here and hope someone knows a workaround for this? Does anyone else experience this bug?
Maybe when they drop support for 10.6 in November they might actually start supporting the newer versions of OSX - but I won't be holding my breath!!!

Thanks.
I know this is an old thread, but did you resolve this? Same issue is driving me crazy!

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
I know this is an old thread, but did you resolve this? Same issue is driving me crazy!

Unfortunately no resolution! I will let you know here if I ever find a solution - likewise please do the same.

It is incredibly irritating and very poor of Steam not to address this (and many other issues).
They don't seem to care about supporting Mac as seen by a total lack of any response to support tickets. I have support tickets over 1 year old with zero response.

Reactions: Dirtyharry50

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
This bug is very old unfortunately. It's probably been in Steam for Mac since launch and has never been addressed along with some other rather annoying but not game breaking bugs. Because of this I only keep Steam open when needed to play and close it when done. I know that is not a solution but that's what I do rather than be annoyed by it myself.

The more interested I become in what good stuff is available for iOS and gaming on console the less interested I am in Steam. The few key releases I'd care about for Mac I can generally get on the Mac App Store or elsewhere.

Reactions: GoldfishRT

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Yeah, it's a very old bug. Doubt Valve has much of a desire to fix it because it's mostly just a slight annoyance.

The work around I use is always just minimizing the main window.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Adium supports Steam IM with a plugin, with the only catch that you'll appear mobile or on web chat. Otherwise, it's a way better solution than leaving Steam on and dealing with its bugs.

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
Try to keep the friend list open and try to replicate the issue. I do not have the issue you are talking about when I do that.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
I message Gabe about this all the time, still no reply... Steam is trash, it has been for ages, gog.com is so much better.

Reactions: Washac

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
The steam app is an abomination that even makes iTunes look good in comparison.
The exclusion of 32-bit apps in upcoming macOS versions will cause issues, but at least it will force devs that are too lazy to use system frameworks to update their antiquate apps.

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
My dislike of steam and all it6 stands for is well known around here but I do keep it around to see peoples reviews of games and or any game issues.

I just opened steam then closed its window but did not shut steam and it does not pop up no matter where I click or what I do, very strange as I would have thought if this was a steam problem/bug it would happen to most using steam on Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.