Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
I updated my HomePod mini to ver 17, my iPhone and iPad are on ver 17, all subsribed to Apple Music/same account if that matters...

For a number of days I will play a long (1000+ song playlist) on my HomePod Mini - I just start a play list by "Hey Siri, shuffle..." and she shuffles it. I listen to the same playlist for a couple of weeks on and off thru the day. Once it's playing I just tap to stop it. Later on when I tap to start again, it just picks up where it left off. The only times it would not work is with a restart or OS upgrade, then I have to start a playlist again.

But since ver 17 this week, if I tap to start if hours later (vs. immediate, which I did as a test and it works fine), I have lost my spot in the play list - Siri just says something like, "Ok here's some music you will like". What changed? Is this a bug or did some setting get changed? Our network is rock solid so I don't think in a matter of hours the HomePod mini restarted, but I could check that if you let me know how to.

Thanks for your help! This is a really aggravating bug for me.

Reactions: pappl and Kiro

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Yes, this has existed since the very first 17 run of software. It’s absolute garbage. You now have to say continue and it should then carry on from where it left off. You can no longer just tap the top. Clearly Apple don’t use their own hardware and software anymore. Utter abortion!

Kiro

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015
Germany, Leipzig
Same. Really annoyes me.
Since you have no way to get back to where you left of. A music history is missing on homepods/apple music.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
It does work to just press and hold until Siri lights up, then just say "Continue". Not the end of the world but it was so much better just being able to walk by and give the HomePod a quick tap.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
It does work to just press and hold until Siri lights up, then just say "Continue". Not the end of the world but it was so much better just being able to walk by and give the HomePod a quick tap.

I just can’t begin to fathom why those ********s at Apple change things like this which clearly nobody has ever asked for and the function they are replacing has existed since day one on that particular device. They really are clueless Muppets in so many regards these days.

Reactions: pappl

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
I upgraded my HomePods to 17.2 on Monday, started a new long playlist as I noted in the OP above, and just for grins decided to try and see if the 'tap' to resume' hours later was back - it is! I have been trying it on multiple HomePods and a HomePod Mini over the last couple of days, and tap to resume is back!!!!! Try it!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.