Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VegasMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Las Vegas
Ok I posted this kinda before, but I'm ready to do it, I know some people said i shouldn't but I want to learn. So I just need some basic knowledge I can look everything up after that. So basically I install the os x server software, and then how do i get my server on the world wide web. I just want a basic brake down. Like to get a website up you just have a host, and a domain name then you build it, and upload it to your host and bam. But how does your server become available to the internet once it has webpages to serve? Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated. i know you guys are computer wizs, and your like duh. But I really don't understand how it works?

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
you don't need os X server to run a website. OS X already has apache installed. All that you need to do it put your files in the folder /Library/WebServer/Documents/ then, point your browser to your IP address. If you want to test locally, just type in 127.0.0.1 or localhost. It is a bit more complicated if you want it to have a domain name because it is very likely that your ISP uses dynamic IPs so your IP doesn't stay the same for very long. It is a lot easier to just pay for hosting somewhere else.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
mnkeybsness said:
you don't need os X server to run a website. OS X already has apache installed. All that you need to do it put your files in the folder /Library/WebServer/Documents/ then, point your browser to your IP address. If you want to test locally, just type in 127.0.0.1 or localhost. It is a bit more complicated if you want it to have a domain name because it is very likely that your ISP uses dynamic IPs so your IP doesn't stay the same for very long. It is a lot easier to just pay for hosting somewhere else.

Well said. Just run apache from your machine. There is free software out there that will change your dynamic IP if you are going to attach a domain to it as well.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
If you have a dynamic IP address (i.e it changes constantly) look into purchasing a router that has dynamic DNS support built in such as the linksys line. A couple sites offer this like dyndns.org

If you have a semi-static or static IP, you can register for a free DNS management service such as MyDomain.co annd with the registrar you simply set your DNS servers of your domain to be MyDomain's DNS servers (in this example). Then on MyDomain's site you map your domain name to your IP address.

VegasMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Las Vegas
Awesome thanks guys keep posting. And I understand that I can get a host really cheap I know i have one. my plan is to run my own business one day, have a server you know there's alot of money in it, and once you learn how to do it pieace of cake. So i'm just looking for knowledge. Thanks again.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
VegasMac said:
Awesome thanks guys keep posting. And I understand that I can get a host really cheap I know i have one. my plan is to run my own business one day, have a server you know there's alot of money in it, and once you learn how to do it pieace of cake. So i'm just looking for knowledge. Thanks again.

A piece of cake? Good luck with that :eek:

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
VegasMac said:
Awesome thanks guys keep posting. ... [snip].

Sorry, on what? What questions do you have remaining? Not trying to be cranky here, I'm actually not sure what else you want to know exactly.

VegasMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Las Vegas
Come on Chico you know what I mean I know it's not that simple just saying once you get it down, things fall into place. And Mcgarry it's all good just, if you have anything else to add, you know other peoples opinion. Just whatever to make my life easier thats why this forum is here right to ask questions even if there dum. I hope. Man Computer geeks need to relax.
And take no offense i'm a computer geek myself. Thanks

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
VegasMac said:
Come on Chico you know what I mean I know it's not that simple just saying once you get it down, things fall into place. And Mcgarry it's all good just, if you have anything else to add, you know other peoples opinion. Just whatever to make my life easier thats why this forum is here right to ask questions even if there dum. I hope. Man Computer geeks need to relax.
And take no offense i'm a computer geek myself. Thanks

Again, I am not trying to be hard on you, I'm actually trying to be helpful. "anything else to add ..." on what? "other people's opinion" ... on what? Really, I'm not sure what you mean. With more detailed questions, we can give you better answers. I'm not much of a geek/expert myself, and I'm obviously no professional, but I recently did what you are trying to do, so I think I can be of help if you give me something to go with.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
CA
Re: Deleted

Actually, setting up a webserver and letting traffic through, is a lot trickier than what others here would lead you to believe. Found out I have to reset my router's settings and the port, to let the world wide web traffic through, which can actually be very harmful to a computer. I called Leo Laporte "The SUPER computer Guru," and he was of the opinion that a lot of damage can be done to your computer, by hackers, even if it's a Macintosh. So, I'll just go with someone else hosting my site on their server.

Also found, that on iMac.com, you can build or upload ready made webpages in a flash for next to nothing...about $8.95 a month and just list your site to free search engines. By doing this you can acquire the same purpose, without the hassle.

Contrary to popular belief, going to the "Sharing," folder in the "Preferences" section and checking all the boxes, so that your personal site can be seen, doesn't work, because not the whole world can see your site, only friends that happen to be on your local network can. That's it! I'm out of here permanently....ciao!

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Daveway said:
How would you do this if your hosting computer is behind a router?
Ex. IP is 68.xx.120.125
local is 192.168.1.2

How then is hosting possible?

Most routers (if not all) provide port forwarding or NAT. So someone making an HTTP request on your external IP on port 80 can be routed to a machine on your internal network (192.168.x.x) - of course it doesn't have to be port 80 but that is the port "reserved" for non-SSL web traffic. RTM of your router to see how to configure this.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
kingjr3 said:
Most routers (if not all) provide port forwarding or NAT. So someone making an HTTP request on your external IP on port 80 can be routed to a machine on your internal network (192.168.x.x) - of course it doesn't have to be port 80 but that is the port "reserved" for non-SSL web traffic. RTM of your router to see how to configure this.

The only thing I see is "virtual server settings". I'm on an Intel Wireless Gateway II.
Is this what I'm looking for?

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Daveway said:
The only thing I see is "virtual server settings". I'm on an Intel Wireless Gateway II.
Is this what I'm looking for?

This is the port forwarding that I was looking for.

Can someone tell me how you tie this in with my domain and OS X.

All I need to do is host a small message on my domain until I finish building the site and setup a hosting plan.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Daveway said:
This is the port forwarding that I was looking for.

Can someone tell me how you tie this in with my domain and OS X.

All I need to do is host a small message on my domain until I finish building the site and setup a hosting plan.

Will you will need to use a domain forwarding service such as http://www.mydomain.com, these allow you to forward a name to your home IP address. Well, I guess you could run your own name servers too, but that would add a bit of complexity to your network...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.