Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hi guys,

I will be building my first PC. I see that the nvidia 3000 series is coming out at the end of this month and AMD's next Zen processors are coming out shortly after, so I will be awaiting those components to be released to build, but in the meantime I'm looking for cases just for fun.

Any tips for a new comer? I'm interested in an AMD 3900x 12-core / nvidia RTX 2060 level build. Could I do this in a midtower / mini atx case?

Does anyone know of a Mac Pro apple-like minimal case?

Thanks!

Reactions: r6mile

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'd say the cleanest looking cases are the following. Just be aware I didn't check there internal sizes. Usually the biggest issue is heatsink size. You'd want to make sure it fits whatever case you choose as some big air and liquid cooling systems may be too big.
- Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 in white and no side panel window
- In Win 101 in White
- Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX TG in White
- NZXT H510/H510i
- Corsair 275R Tempered Glass

There was the Dune Pro but it's looking like they'll never get it manufactured. It was supposed to start shipping in January. It's a Mac Pro copycat case.

Really you can run that in a mini-ITX case. It's just the smaller the case gets. Generally the noisier the case gets. Due to fans running at a higher RPM.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($428.90 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($243.70 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO GAMING Video Card ($310.00 @ Walmart)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.90 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1496.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-13 12:17 EDT-0400

Reactions: TheRedOx

TheRedOx

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
Fractal Design Define7 Compact is pretty clean too. The Wraith Prism cooler that comes with the 3900x is really nice, I don't have any complaints about noise with it.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I really like both the Fractal Design and the Be Quiet! one. I'll keep my eyes open for a save these next couple months as I await the new hardware to be released for my build.

What are the best most straightforward guides that you guys know of for someone new to PC Building?

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I am in the process of building my first Windows PC in almost twenty years and took a different tack. I decided to build a compact system with the possibility of building a second one in the not-too-distant future using some of the same components.

Build #1 (in progress) component list:
  • Case: NZXT H1 (incl. 650W PSU, 140W AIO CPU cooler, PCIe riser), mini-ITX form factor, $350 when I bought it
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING, AMD socket AM4, mini-ITX with PCI-e 4.0
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X, 8-core, 65W TDP
  • RAM: Patriot 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz DDR4, no heat spreaders
  • SSDs (pending delivery): Sabrent Rocket 500GB m.2 PCIe 4.0 + Adata XPG 8200 Pro 1TB m.2 PCIe 3.0
  • GPU (previous purchase): Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (reference card from Nvidia)
Yes, the case price is eye-popping but when you price out a separate 650W power supply, the AIO cooler and the PCIe riser card, it's less dramatic. However, the AIO cooler is fully integrated into the case design (the pump is actually embedded in the radiator so the heat sink is just that). Perhaps more importantly, all of the wiring is pre-routed which makes this a wonderful case for newcomers to the custom build world.

When all of the components are installed, the NZXT H1 is a tight package so the liquid cooler brings relief because airflow is so restricted. There's very little opportunity for modding in this case's tight quarters.

I'm about 75% through this build. I received the NZXT case yesterday and started a preliminary test build with a different GPU (Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB) and installed Windows 10 on an old 2.5" SSD for practice and to make sure the new components work (they do). The Radeon card was originally purchased a few months ago with a Sonnet Breakaway eGPU box that I connected to my Mac mini. It worked fine but I decided to splurge on the Nvidia card and temporarily shelved the Radeon and connected the eGPU to an Acer Swift 3 ultrathin notebook PC (think MacBook Air).

With all of the wiring pre-routed in this NZXT case, it was fairly simple putting it together. It took me a while to figure out how the two cords from the AIO cooler should be plugged into the motherboard (4-pin goes to CPU_FAN which is the 140mm radiator fan, 3-pin goes to AIO_PUMP, set the latter to max in the BIOS settings).

There are some idiosyncracies with the NZXT H1 case, like the I/O panel facing down. Read the Tom's Hardware product review very carefully and look at their build photos. This is not the ideal case if you want to plug and unplug things constantly. I've crafted a six-foot "umbilical" cord for my Oculus Rift S VR HMD (DisplayPort and USB 3.0 extension cables) as well as short 1-foot pigtails for certain other connections underneath. A good powered USB 3.0 hub is pretty much a required accessory with this case.

I'm waiting on the two m.2 sticks to hopefully arrive this weekend. This Asus B550-I motherboard features PCIe 4.0 so I picked up a 500GB m.2 PCIe 4.0 card for my boot drive and a 1TB card with the older PCIe 3.0 tech for my secondary drive (which will be mostly reads, not writes). Early next week, I will yank out my practice 2.5" SSD and the Radeon card, replace with my RTX 2070 SUPER and the super speedy m.2 storage and reinstall Windows. I expect the Sabrent PCIe 4.0 m.2 to blow doors on my venerable SATA-3 SSD (6Gbps).

I decided that I did not want to try shoving a CPU with a 105W TDP into this H1 case so I opted for the most powerful 65W Ryzen CPU instead, besides I don't need that much CPU power.

I actually already have a case for my future second build, a $66 SilverStone PS15B-G compact tower that supports the micro-ATX form factor. There's a good chance I will bring the Ryzen 7 CPU along with the 32GB of RAM. I can opt to bring RTX 2070 GPU along or leave it in the Build #1 micro-ITX case.

That leaves me with several options with the Asus B550-I motherboard in the current NZXT H1 case. I could buy a less powerful CPU like the Ryzen 5 3600 (or 3600X) paired with a GPU (the Sapphire Radeon? the RTX 2070 SUPER?) or I could opt for a Ryzen 5 3400G with the integrated Vega graphics. I'd probably shove in 16GB of RAM. I could buy a better Radeon card for my Mac mini/eGPU and put the RX 580 back into Build #1.

The Build #2 SilverStone case supports more options. I would likely install a 240mm AIO cooler in the front panel for the CPU. The top panel supports either two 120mm chassis fans or one 140mm fan (I would probably opt for the latter which might run quieter). The case includes one 120mm fan built-in in the rear panel and there's room for a second 120mm fan or AIO cooler. At some point, I might try the latter for a GPU. So Build #2's budget might be heavy on power and cooling (one 650W PSU + two AIO coolers is probably $300-400).

Build #2 would end up being the gaming/VR PC (I'd probably try to keep the software on it as limited as possible) and Build #1 (mini-ITX) would be the daily driver. With the idea of a second build, I have the luxury of knowing that I can move ahead and leave some decent stuff behind.

I sure do like the NZXT H1 case's dimensions and the fact that the cables were pre-routed. With current COVID-19 retail restrictions, I can't easily walk the aisles of my favorite local PC shop and peruse cables, parts, etc.

As for recommended reading, I follow Tom's Hardware very closely, followed by TweakTown, TechRadar, and perhaps Windows Central and a few others. I read Tom's Hardware in the late Nineties back when very, Very, VERY few people were custom building PCs. I'm glad to see that the site is still faithful to Dr. Pabst's original mission.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac

TheRedOx

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
As far as guides, for me, I have to see it being done. PCPartPicker's YouTube channel is fantastic, they're very deliberate in each step and explain what they're doing. They haven't done build videos in a while but the fundamentals are all there. https://www.youtube.com/c/pcpartpicker/featured
One new trend that is fantastic is that the IO shield is built into newer motherboards - no more blood sacrifices to the PCMR gods ?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I built my first system back in 2010 and it was a full tower (Corsair I think) and it was a good decision. You don't know how much cooling you may want down the road and a full tower gives you the most options. My daughter took that machine though so I'm using a 2008 Minitower now. It gets the job done but it only has 1 PCIe x16 and four PCIe x1 slots which cramps my style though it gets the job done. I understand that some people have space issues but I do prefer trying to get the best thermals for system longevity.

My daughter took it a few years after the build as her gaming system.

There are times when I think about doing a clean build but the 2008 system is good enough for now. The motherboard and CPU are the only things that are original so I would just take the newer components into a new build. I really want to see Apple Silicon before making decisions.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Have a look at the Coolermaster NR200, it's a mini ITX case but looks exceptionally good.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Have a look at the Coolermaster NR200, it's a mini ITX case but looks exceptionally good.

I ordered it in white! I will be getting it sometime between September 14th and October 14th.

What components should I be looking out for in the meantime to go on sale during these next couple months?

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Fractal Design Define7 Compact is pretty clean too.

I'm just going to second the Define series as a whole. I'm on my 3rd build in a Define R5 case. I just can't find anything I like more except for the newer versions of the case... It's built like a tank and super well thought out. Sound absorbing material on the side panels is excellent. I don't need my desktop to make a statement, so I actually prefer the black box utilitarian design.

Cookie18

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
France
I ordered it in white! I will be getting it sometime between September 14th and October 14th.

What components should I be looking out for in the meantime to go on sale during these next couple months?

Current gen Ryzen CPUs will start getting discounted as we get closer to the announcement/release of the 4000 chips.

You could try looking for a current Nvidia 2000 series card but many of them have now been discontinued in preparation for the 3000 series release. I’d wait for the Sept 1 announcement and go from there. A 3060 probably won’t be announced at that event but it will probably have something like 2080 power at a $400 price which is a big jump over what you can get at that price right now.

GPU wise I’d recommend either waiting until the 3060 comes out which could be November or so if rumours are correct, or you could get something like a 1650 Super for the time being which won’t lose a lot of value and you can sell it when the 3060 is released.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Current gen Ryzen CPUs will start getting discounted as we get closer to the announcement/release of the 4000 chips.

You could try looking for a current Nvidia 2000 series card but many of them have now been discontinued in preparation for the 3000 series release. I’d wait for the Sept 1 announcement and go from there. A 3060 probably won’t be announced at that event but it will probably have something like 2080 power at a $400 price which is a big jump over what you can get at that price right now.

GPU wise I’d recommend either waiting until the 3060 comes out which could be November or so if rumours are correct, or you could get something like a 1650 Super for the time being which won’t lose a lot of value and you can sell it when the 3060 is released.

Do AMD desktop CPUs come with integrated graphics? I absolutely could hold out until November if they do.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Power supplies. There is a dearth of quality ones right now, especially in the 650W range which is the sweet spot for the typical custom PC build. Just do your research and start adding candidate units to your Amazon/Newegg/etc. wishlists. Check the manufacturers' websites for MSRP. There is a lot of price gouging going on right now from third-party merchants.

Adding other items to your wishlist is a sane strategy. Things like m.2 NVME SSDs like common PCIe 3.0 sticks and the newer speedy PCIe 4.0 sticks; you will need a compatible motherboard for the latter. Other things would include m.2 heatsinks, SDRAM, etc.

Amateurs discuss AMD vs. Intel, like photographers debating Canon vs. Nikon. Better photographers discuss tripod legsets and ballheads. Similarly, better PC builders focus on power and cooling. I have no plans on overclocking my silicon however I have a strong interest in keeping things quiet.

I'm waiting on the delivery of a 240mm AIO CPU cooler but ultimately I may replace the manufacturer's fans with similarly spec-ed third-party parts. The micro-ATX case I bought included a 120mm fan but I'm definitely replacing it. My guess is that my next build will have ~$100 worth of Noctua fans.

Last edited:

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Power supplies. There is a dearth of quality ones right now, especially in the 650W range which is the sweet spot for the typical custom PC build. Just do your research and start adding candidate units to your Amazon/Newegg/etc. wishlists. Check the manufacturers' websites for MSRP. There is a lot of price gouging going on right now from third-party merchants.

Adding other items to your wishlist is a sane strategy. Things like m.2 NVME SSDs like common PCIe 3.0 sticks and the newer speedy PCIe 4.0 sticks; you will need a compatible motherboard for the latter. Other things would include m.2 heatsinks, SDRAM, etc.

Amateurs discuss AMD vs. Intel, like photographers debating Canon vs. Nikon. Better photographers discuss tripod legsets and ballheads. Similarly, better PC builders focus on power and cooling. I have no plans on overclocking my silicon however I have a strong interest in keeping things quiet.

I'm waiting on the delivery of a 240mm AIO CPU cooler but ultimately I may replace the manufacturer's fans with similarly spec-ed third-party parts. The micro-ATX case I bought included a 120mm fan but I'm definitely replacing it. My guess is that my next build will have ~$100 worth of Noctua fans.

Good call.

What sort of cooling solution should I be looking to add to my NR200 rig that will most likely contain a RTX 3060/3070 and a 12-core AMD processor?

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota

I saw that. I got the standard NR200 so I can't vertically mount my GPU, so the Kraken X62 is the way to go. I know the NR200 only comes with one 120mm fan on top, can I just get any other 120mm fan and it would work inside?

And also, what version of the X62 would be recommended? I think he has the two fan model in his setup it looks like?

And man, that case is gorgeous! Can't wait to get my white model. It's going to look DOPE on my desk!!!

This is the one I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Kraken-...d=1&keywords=kraken+x62&qid=1597854930&sr=8-2

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.