Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I apologize for the dumb question, I have not build a computer in 6 years. What does the following mean?

• Supports 1R 2933/ 2666/ 2133 MHz
  • 1DPC 1R Max speed up to 4800+ MHz
  • 1DPC 2R Max speed up to 4266+ MHz
  • 2DPC 1R Max speed up to 4400+ MHz
  • 2DPC 2R Max speed up to 4000+ MHz
I am looking at building a new computer. I would like to get the i9-10900k, but I will stick with the i7-10700k for now as its actually in stock. Here are the components.

Seasonic FOCUS PX-750, 750W 80+ Platinum Full-Modular

2 of CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

MSI MPG Z490 GAMING CARBON WIFI LGA 1200 Intel Z490

Intel Core i7-10700K

I am not that concerned with overclocking, but the option will be nice if I want to a year from now. That motherboard looked nice for the IO and 2x M.2 as I might utilize both with the 970 Evo Plus.

I will be getting the Noctua NH-D15 from Amazon along with the two 970 Evo Plus drives. Does this system look good? Total between Newegg and Amazon will be $1,600. I already have an AMD 5700XT and I will get the new GPUs when they come out soon.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I would go with the layout of the ram on the dimm, the 1R being a single rank ram layout the 2R being the dual rank variety. They do not mix well when put into a machine in a combination you want to stick with either variety when adding the ram. Since you already have the AMD card you may want to go with the same for the processor. They do much better than the intel with both the processing power delivered and the power consumed. I am certain you can get better bang for the dollar as well, with most likely additional cores to up the advantage even more.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Careful with the Noctua NH-D15. There's sometimes clearance issues with memory and the front fan. In the default position there is only 32mm clearance. While the fan may be moved up. There is then clearance issues for many cases. As it is 165mm tall with fan.

Many other coolers offset the heatsink to avoid the fan clearance issue. Such as the Thermalright Le Grande Macho RT. Which as I recall outperforms the Noctua NH-D15 a little. The Scyther Mugen 5 Rev B and Thermalright Macho Direct are much cheaper options with nearly identical cooling results of the NH D15. They also have a lower profile and are offset.

Although I'm not sure how much OC headroom you'll have with big air. Comet Lake is crazy hot. The i7-10700K has a PL2 of 229W and the NH-D15 is rated for 220W. Even at full turbo you can go past what those coolers are rated for. The i9-10900K is even worse at 250W. Seems to me you need to go with a good 280mm or 360mm liquid cooler. As 240mm usually peaks around the same as big air. Although there are some powerful 240mm units.

Being much cooler. Plus PCIe 4.0. I'd take Ryzen too. Unless you are gaming at 1080p. You aren't likely to see a difference at 1440p or higher. Even when the nVidia 3000 series comes out. I guess unless you are building a hackintosh.

The 970 Evo Plus are also unnecessarily expense. The HP EX950 goes toe to toe with the 970 Evo Plus. Usually for a lot less money. It varies on the benchmark as to which is faster. The EX950 has better random read speed for one. Which is the most important for gaming. It may make a difference of 100 to 200 milliseconds for a game to load. :eek:

Reactions: MacUser2525

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Careful with the Noctua NH-D15. There's sometimes clearance issues with memory and the front fan. In the default position there is only 32mm clearance. While the fan may be moved up. There is then clearance issues for many cases. As it is 165mm tall with fan.

Many other coolers offset the heatsink to avoid the fan clearance issue. Such as the Thermalright Le Grande Macho RT. Which as I recall outperforms the Noctua NH-D15 a little. The Scyther Mugen 5 Rev B and Thermalright Macho Direct are much cheaper options with nearly identical cooling results of the NH D15. They also have a lower profile and are offset.

Although I'm not sure how much OC headroom you'll have with big air. Comet Lake is crazy hot. The i7-10700K has a PL2 of 229W and the NH-D15 is rated for 220W. Even at full turbo you can go past what those coolers are rated for. The i9-10900K is even worse at 250W. Seems to me you need to go with a good 280mm or 360mm liquid cooler. As 240mm usually peaks around the same as big air. Although there are some powerful 240mm units.

Being much cooler. Plus PCIe 4.0. I'd take Ryzen too. Unless you are gaming at 1080p. You aren't likely to see a difference at 1440p or higher. Even when the nVidia 3000 series comes out. I guess unless you are building a hackintosh.

The 970 Evo Plus are also unnecessarily expense. The HP EX950 goes toe to toe with the 970 Evo Plus. Usually for a lot less money. It varies on the benchmark as to which is faster. The EX950 has better random read speed for one. Which is the most important for gaming. It may make a difference of 100 to 200 milliseconds for a game to load. :eek:

I will not be doing liquid cooling. My current 5th generation i7 in my computer has a Noctua and its rated for 150w. The TDP on these new chips are less. I have seen others (Linus) use Noctua on more demanding AMD chips (Threadripper) and it performs well.

Liquid cooling is not something I want to do. If I need to do it with these Intel chips, I just won't build a system and look for something else that supports air cooling.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I will not be doing liquid cooling. My current 5th generation i7 in my computer has a Noctua and its rated for 150w. The TDP on these new chips are less. I have seen others (Linus) use Noctua on more demanding AMD chips (Threadripper) and it performs well.

Liquid cooling is not something I want to do. If I need to do it with these Intel chips, I just won't build a system and look for something else that supports air cooling.
Old thread, but interesting questions.

I'm building a new computer (it is being assembled, not yet finished): mid-tower ATX, core i9-10900K, gigabyte z490 aorus motherboard, g.skillz xmp 3600 memory. I've been struggling with what cooler to buy. I decided at least initially I was not going to do any overclocking and was going for a cooler that could keep the cpu temps down to a reasonable level at stock settings.

The noctua dh-15 seems to be the reigning champ, at the expense of how big it is....then there is the d15s.

I'm not adverse to an aio watercooling solution but my case won't accept a radiator that is 240mm. I made my short term decision and will trying out the Corsair H80i v2 and see how that goes.

Then I tripped over this. https://www.icegiantcooling.com. It's huge, but I'm thinking if the h80i v2 doesn't work out, this monster looks like interesting tech.

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I ended up with the i7 10700k since the 10900k was out of stock. I got the Noctua NH-D15. I do not do any overclocking and my temperatures are more than good enough with that cooler. The height of mine is 165, would your case support that? You mentioned 240, but the one I have isn't that large.

That Ice Giant looks interesting!

Reactions: I7guy

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Similar to my recent build and about the same cost. I went with the Arctic eSports Duo cooler and 10700 as my main design goals were that it be quiet, run cool, and be energy efficient.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If anyone is asking some of the same questions I asked, this is the entire saga.

Ultimately, these are the components I bought for the build:
- core i9 10900K
- corsair h80i v2
- 64 (6x16) meg gskill ddr4 3600/cl16
- gigabyte z490 aorus master
- antec three hundred two
- corsair 750 rmx power supply
- hp sn750 1tb nvme (2 times)
- 10 tb wd black (including hot swappable internal)
- 2tb external backup
- dvd

From the old tower, which is now 11+ years old, pulled the fans, cables and the internal SATA drives.

My use case initially is I am not going to overclock the cpu, but had my doubts about the ability for the h80i v2 to keep the cpu cool as there were virtually no reviews pairing this cpu cooler with the 10900K.

While I didn't perform a full-bore stress test, I did run prime95 with small ffts to generate the maximum amount of heat. Monitoring the cpu temps, I noticed that after about 10 minutes the cpu seemed to stabilize at 77c, although the fans in the case were going full bore.

So my "off-the-cuff" opinion, is that this fan can keep the cpu cool enough. I can always revisit this in the future.

edit: updated bild

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.