Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Ok im not that good at web design, but said I would build a site for my mother. My question is once im done building it in bbedit and have the html file folder, what do I need to get it up on the net? Someone mentioned Fetch to me. We just purchased the Domain name on Godaddy.com. Is there anything else we need other than a domain name? A server or host? Any help would be much apreciated. Thanks

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You'll need a web hosting provider for your domain name.

Try ipowerweb.com.

rock6079

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
you're going to need some web hosting.. i recommend infinityws.com thats who i use.. good prices and great customer service.... definately very important..

good luck

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
I love the feedback. So you guys recomend 4 diff hosts. Any of you guys here of Aplus? Also, does godaddy host or no? So fetch isnt that great ill go with one of the free ones you guys mentioned. There are some stuff on this websites that is trademarked sayings. I put the tm but at the bottom of the webpage should i put copywritten or something?

sapereaude

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
Everybody develops their own preference on hosts, no surprise there, there are hundreds if not thousands of capable hosts out there right now. Between my day job and my freelance work I currently have sites on 9 or 10 different shared hosts, just depends on what technologies your site needs to run efficiently.

Godaddy does do hosting. Since it sounds like you did straight up HTML, their "economy" hosting will probably handle what you need at a reasonable price ($4/mo). It may be nice for you to keep the registrar and host as the same. If you want something even cheaper they're out there.

As far as the trademark and copyright stuff goes always mark what you legally can. It won't stop someone on the internet from using it if they really want to, but it will provide some recourse if you find out about it using it, especially if it is registered ®—copyrights © and unregistered trademarks ™ are much harder to protect.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Thanx saper, So im almost done coding all of this. I hate to be a nuisance but i need help with some basic code. I have about 2 sentences that i dont want to be running across the page just kept withing like 70 characters thend rop to next line and in the middle of the site. Any help? How did you get the c and r circled for registerd and copywritten?
ps. <p align="center"> that is just centering it.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
xelterran said:
BBEdit has a built-in FTP-Client (just choose save to to ftp || open from ftp)

But Transmit is soo much better. Transmit is the way to go. Many people here, including myself, use A Small Orange. Its cheap, feature and value ritch, and reliable.

Step 1:
Create site.

Step 2:
Buy hosting from ASO.

Step 3:
Log into godaddy and enter in the name servers given to you in your welcome email.

Step 4:
Connect to your server through Transmit using your ASO username & pass.

Step 5:
Upload your site (index.html, etc.) into the www folder and disconnect.

Voila.

rock6079

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Daveway said:
But Transmit is soo much better. Transmit is the way to go. Many people here, including myself, use A Small Orange. Its cheap, feature and value ritch, and reliable.
i second that recommendation on transmit.. but if you're looking for an all in one you might want to give webdesign a try.. its a good simple editor and has a built in site manager/ftp

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I do not recommend godaddy for hosting, go with a different company, sure get your domain from them but not the hosting.

rock6079

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Espnetboy3 said:
Thanx saper, So im almost done coding all of this. I hate to be a nuisance but i need help with some basic code. I have about 2 sentences that i dont want to be running across the page just kept withing like 70 characters thend rop to next line and in the middle of the site. Any help? How did you get the c and r circled for registerd and copywritten?
ps. <p align="center"> that is just centering it.

for the wrap or "break" just use the <br> tag.. just like that.. it will insert a line break you can put it anywhere in your sentance. if your using the <p> tag then just end it when u want the line break and start a new one.. that will also give you a line break. as for getting the symbols.. those are ascii characters .. so to put them on your site you actually need to use a "code" that represents them.. for example this © will give you © and ® will give you ®... since i dont have them all memorized i just search google whenever i need to find one.. for example i just searched for ascii html chart and got to this page from about.com which had a pretty good table.. anywase goodluck.. oh and by the way some programs like the one i mentioned above.. webdesign (http://www.ragesw.com/webdesign) will do all that for you automatically.. its a great program for beginners.. hope that helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.