Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
I have fixed gcc10ppc on 10.6.8 Server by building libgcc11 and rebuilding libgcc port with libgcc11 runtime.
So now all good. (I think that is how I fixed it on 10A190 too.)

Building cmake now. Hopefully gfortran also works (it should though).

Reactions: ChrisCharman

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
I have moved 10.6.8 Server to the same combination of tools that I have on 10A190:

gcc11 + libgcc11
ld64-97 + llvm50

And yeah, gcc7 can be bypassed completely. On 10A190 you start with building ld64-97 + llvm34, then build gcc10-bootstrap, then use it to build libgcc11, then rebuild libgcc port with libgcc11, then build gcc11, then using gcc11 build llvm-5.0, then rebuild ld64-97 with +llvm50.

P. S. If you successfully build gcc10/gcc11 but it does not work after that, most likely libgcc is missing or wrong. Do not delete the compiler itself, it is okay, just build libgcc for it and modify Macports settings accordingly.

Above sequence should work precisely. If it still fails on 10A96, then I guess there is some problem with OS itself.

To make sure arch-specific ports build, I went ahead to build gmake:

Code:
36-47% sudo ./port -v install gmake
Password:
Warning: configured user/group macports does not exist, will build as root
--->  Computing dependencies for gmake.........
The following dependencies will be installed:
 gettext
 gettext-runtime
 gettext-tools-libs
 gperf
 libiconv
 libtextstyle
 lzip
 ncurses
Continue? [Y/n]: y

And all good:

Code:
36-47% ./port -v installed
The following ports are currently installed:
  gettext @0.21_0 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 10' archs='ppc' date='2022-03-25T19:02:25+0800'
  gettext-runtime @0.21_0 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 10' archs='ppc' date='2022-03-25T18:33:34+0800'
  gettext-tools-libs @0.21_0 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 10' archs='ppc' date='2022-03-25T18:51:38+0800'
  gmake @4.3_0 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 10' archs='ppc' date='2022-03-25T19:03:35+0800'
  gperf @3.1_0 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 10' archs='ppc' date='2022-03-25T18:28:59+0800'
  libiconv @1.16_1 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 10' archs='ppc' date='2022-03-25T18:30:48+0800'
  libtextstyle @0.21_0 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 10' archs='ppc' date='2022-03-25T18:40:01+0800'
  lzip @1.23_0 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 10' archs='ppc' date='2022-03-25T19:02:40+0800'
  ncurses @6.3_0 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 10' archs='ppc' date='2022-03-25T18:37:14+0800'
  neofetch @7.1.0_0 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 10' archs='noarch' date='2022-03-25T18:17:30+0800'

Over the weekend, I tried following the steps in the original how-to (buried in README.md within the attached “PPCSnowLeopardPorts-main.zip” on the wikipost).

The sole difference this time is that how-to calls for only one — not two — “port v- sync” setup command (at the very end, just prior to the mv / ln -s steps required after running a sync).

In addition, prior to doing all this, I manually wiped and re-installed Xcode 3.2 from 10A96 (manual, because letting the installer run on its own always chokes on the installation of MacOSX10.4u.sdk for reasons still unclear; as the workaround, I extract it in Leopard with Pacifist and them move it into place).

Regardless, the outcome with Macports is the same as before. Installing a random port of my choosing (this time, I chose perl5.30) failed, as did neofetch:

Code:
->  Verifying checksums for neofetch
--->  Checksumming neofetch-7.1.0.tar.gz
--->  Extracting neofetch
--->  Extracting neofetch-7.1.0.tar.gz
Executing:  cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_sysutils_neofetch/neofetch/work" && /usr/bin/gzip -dc '/opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/neofetch/neofetch-7.1.0.tar.gz' | /usr/bin/gnutar --no-same-owner -xf -
sandbox_init: Could not set default launchd policy, err=1100
Command failed:  cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_sysutils_neofetch/neofetch/work" && /usr/bin/gzip -dc '/opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/neofetch/neofetch-7.1.0.tar.gz' | /usr/bin/gnutar --no-same-owner -xf -
Exit code: 2
Error: Failed to extract neofetch: command execution failed

At this juncture, I’m done. I feel nothing more than futility.

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
Over the weekend, I tried following the steps in the original how-to (buried in README.md within the attached “PPCSnowLeopardPorts-main.zip” on the wikipost).

The sole difference this time is that how-to calls for only one — not two — “port v- sync” setup command (at the very end, just prior to the mv / ln -s steps required after running a sync).

In addition, prior to doing all this, I manually wiped and re-installed Xcode 3.2 from 10A96 (manual, because letting the installer run on its own always chokes on the installation of MacOSX10.4u.sdk for reasons still unclear; as the workaround, I extract it in Leopard with Pacifist and them move it into place).

Regardless, the outcome with Macports is the same as before. Installing a random port of my choosing (this time, I chose perl5.30) failed, as did neofetch:

Code:
->  Verifying checksums for neofetch
--->  Checksumming neofetch-7.1.0.tar.gz
--->  Extracting neofetch
--->  Extracting neofetch-7.1.0.tar.gz
Executing:  cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_sysutils_neofetch/neofetch/work" && /usr/bin/gzip -dc '/opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/neofetch/neofetch-7.1.0.tar.gz' | /usr/bin/gnutar --no-same-owner -xf -
sandbox_init: Could not set default launchd policy, err=1100
Command failed:  cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_sysutils_neofetch/neofetch/work" && /usr/bin/gzip -dc '/opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/neofetch/neofetch-7.1.0.tar.gz' | /usr/bin/gnutar --no-same-owner -xf -
Exit code: 2
Error: Failed to extract neofetch: command execution failed

I still suspect the command line tools included with the 10A096 version of Xcode are the root cause here. When i started building from AOSP, before @barracuda156 shared his findings on later builds of Xcode having some PowerPC compatibility, it was necessary to build tools like autoconf, gnumake and so on in order for more recent projects to be compiled as the tools that were pre-bundled were too old.

@barracuda156 As you now have a working build of 10A096 and have the most experience testing the various versions of the Xcode and GCC tools, would you be able to test this yourself and report the findings when you have time please? This will help others who want to follow the extensive work that @B S Magnet has done to optimise that build and reduce frustration should they also want to follow your MacPorts guide as i have a feeling a ‘one size fits all’ approach isn’t going to work across all setups?

Reactions: barracuda156

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021

1. It should not matter if you run that once or twice. Moreover, for basic functionality you can do without overlay repo and symlinking, it is not essential, but a matter of convenience. Without that you can manually force correct compiler on CL: sudo port -v install PORTNAME configure.compiler=gcc-4.2 build_arch="ppc"
So just to test Macports you can skip the repo part completely.

2. Well, since I have now 10A96, I will do this today. If Xcode 10A96 is broken (ironically indeed, given our Wikipost), we may need to use Xcode 10A190 on both DP.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
@barracuda156 reduce frustration should they also want to follow your MacPorts guide as i have a feeling a ‘one size fits all’ approach isn’t going to work across all setups?

Well, my post heading specifies 10A190 explicitly, and I have mentioned several times that I can only guarantee everything works on 10A190, so I don’t think I created false expectation in anyone who actually read the thing. I have also explicitly advised using Xcode 10A190 both here and in our SL PPC thread.

But you are right, testing on 10A96 now makes sense, since you made an image that is easily usable. I will do it and post an update.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
I still suspect the command line tools included

Side-note re Unix tools, there in fact may be a benefit in using later builds of gcc-4.2: today I got an error trying to upgrade py310-gdbm on 10A190: cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-unused-result". The same port upgraded on 10.5.8 with no issues.
(On 10A190 it did upgrade successfully with macports-gcc-11, so it was gcc error, not OS.)

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
Well, my post heading specifies 10A190 explicitly, and I have mentioned several times that I can only guarantee everything works on 10A190, so I don’t think I created false expectation in anyone who actually read the thing. I have also explicitly advised using Xcode 10A190 both here and in our SL PPC thread.

But you are right, testing on 10A96 now makes sense, since you made an image that is easily usable. I will do it and post an update.
Yeah I wasn’t implying that you have caused confusion or misled anybody, just that many people have opted and will opt to run 10A096 currently for the reasons @B S Magnet outlines in the thread but may also want to follow your guidelines, without being aware that many under the hood unix level binaries are too old.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
Yeah I wasn’t implying that you have caused confusion or misled anybody, just that many people have opted and will opt to run 10A096 currently for the reasons @B S Magnet outlines in the thread but may also want to follow your guidelines, without being aware that many under the hood unix level binaries are too old.

A quick update: I confirm the error on 10A96 with Xcode 10A96.

I will try to find a solution now.

UPD2: Tools are not at fault, I upgraded Xcode, but got the same error. There is some problem with 10A96 itself.

Last edited:

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021

Well, there was no problem with what you were doing, there is a problem with 10A96.

I do not immediately see any settings in Macports libexec that would make difference between darwin9 and darwin10 in something relevant to the issue aside from the one already known (in portsandbox). Sandbox header is identical between 10A96 and 10A190. Upgrading Xcode made no difference.

If anyone would want to pursue the matter further, perhaps it will be meaningful to diff SDKs of 10A96 and 10A190 and look for anything related to sandbox and launchd.

At the moment I can only recommend moving to 10A190, and the same procedure you followed will have a positive result. If I will have any update from my end, I will post it here, until then I added a warning to the head comment about 10A96 being broken.

Well, there was no problem with what you were doing, there is a problem with 10A96.

I do not immediately see any settings in Macports libexec that would make difference between darwin9 and darwin10 in something relevant to the issue aside from the one already known (in portsandbox). Sandbox header is identical between 10A96 and 10A190. Upgrading Xcode made no difference.

If anyone would want to pursue the matter further, perhaps it will be meaningful to diff SDKs of 10A96 and 10A190 and look for anything related to sandbox and launchd.

At the moment I can only recommend moving to 10A190, and the same procedure you followed will have a positive result. If I will have any update from my end, I will post it here, until then I added a warning to the head comment about 10A96 being broken.

This alone is not worth moving to Build 10A190 when the principal goal I’ve been working on from the outset is to set up the most stable conditions for running Snow Leopard in a PowerPC setting. For exhaustively described reasons, Build 10A96 was engineered, incidentally, with more robust support for the legacy architecture, whereas Build 10A190 stripped away a lot of this.

One thing, however, I do find vexing about this finding (though I’m very glad you were able to confirm it for us, thank you) is how I started out trying to confront the issues with Macports on the other thread sometime last July, and the person who hopped in to solve it like a knight in shining armour was largely condescending and generally unhelpful, then took it upon himself to overlook how I was trying to redress this issue with Macports in a Build 10A96 setting… by trying to “solve” the issue by installing 10A190. Like, hey, it’s cool he got it working in Build 10A190, but it never addressed my issue in the first place.

In any case, I’ll say once more I’m grateful you were able to confirm what I’ve been dealing with. I’ve been quiet most of this week because I’m working on trying to make it easier for others to install and try out Build 10A96 on their own — hopefully obviating a lot of the manual patching in the process. I don’t know when I’ll have it done, but I will say I’ve finally begun my first foray into creating an installer package from scratch. I’ll post more about it on the other thread once I’ve ironed out some issues and finished with its Quick Install Guide.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
This alone is not worth moving to Build 10A190 when the principal goal I’ve been working on from the outset is to set up the most stable conditions for running Snow Leopard in a PowerPC setting. For exhaustively described reasons, Build 10A96 was engineered, incidentally, with more robust support for the legacy architecture, whereas Build 10A190 stripped away a lot of this.

One thing, however, I do find vexing about this finding (though I’m very glad you were able to confirm it for us, thank you) is how I started out trying to confront the issues with Macports on the other thread sometime last July, and the person who hopped in to solve it like a knight in shining armour was largely condescending and generally unhelpful, then took it upon himself to overlook how I was trying to redress this issue with Macports in a Build 10A96 setting… by trying to “solve” the issue by installing 10A190. Like, hey, it’s cool he got it working in Build 10A190, but it never addressed my issue in the first place.

I am not trying to convince you (or anyone) to use specifically 10A190, though my personal opinion remains that there is little to no reason for staying on 10A96; perhaps it is also beneficial for everyone if someone keeps working on 10A96.

To that end (and unrelated to Macports topic), I am interested to see actual examples of something that works on 10A96 and does not work on 10A190 (obviously, aside of Airport issue which is known). While that won’t motivate me to move to 10A96 myself, that may point to ways to improve 10A190 with components ported from 10A96 (or rebuilding those).

Lastly, and again just as my personal opinion, we should be grateful to @kencu for “hopping in”, since without his contribution here and later on Github and Macports, many improvements for us won’t have taken place (or at least would take much longer). In my view, considering extreme scarcity of people who have expertise and motivation to contribute to development of Darwin PowerPC in some meaningful way, we rather value and encourage such contribution and discard any personal frictions that may arise (we are all humans, come on).

I am not trying to convince you (or anyone) to use specifically 10A190, though my personal opinion remains that there is little to no reason for staying on 10A96; perhaps it is also beneficial for everyone if someone keeps working on 10A96.

To that end (and unrelated to Macports topic), I am interested to see actual examples of something that works on 10A96 and does not work on 10A190 (obviously, aside of Airport issue which is known). While that won’t motivate me to move to 10A96 myself, that may point to ways to improve 10A190 with components ported from 10A96 (or rebuilding those).

Lastly, and again just as my personal opinion, we should be grateful to @kencu for “hopping in”, since without his contribution here and later on Github and Macports, many improvements for us won’t have taken place (or at least would take much longer). In my view, considering extreme scarcity of people who have expertise and motivation to contribute to development of Darwin PowerPC in some meaningful way, we rather value and encourage such contribution and discard any personal frictions that may arise (we are all humans, come on).

We could certainly use someone to manually go through, test, and swap out components, kexts, and frameworks in 10A190 to see what works, what doesn’t, and what improves the stability and usability of Build 10A190 (i.e., adding to the 10A190 column in Table 4). To date, no one has taken up much of that mantle. Would you like to take that up?

If my time was unlimited, I might do so myself, but because it isn’t, I’ve stuck to continuing with the work I’ve managed to do thus far with Build 10A96.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
We could certainly use someone to manually go through, test, and swap out components, kexts, and frameworks in 10A190 to see what works, what doesn’t, and what improves the stability and usability of Build 10A190 (i.e., adding to the 10A190 column in Table 4). To date, no one has taken up much of that mantle. Would you like to take that up?

If my time was unlimited, I might do so myself, but because it isn’t, I’ve stuck to continuing with the work I’ve managed to do thus far with Build 10A96.

Oh I did not imply that I expect someone else to take the burden of testing merely to answer my question, I just thought that there were some already known (to you and/or others) reasons to prefer 10A96.

Oh I did not imply that I expect someone else to take the burden of testing merely to answer my question, I just thought that there were some already known (to you and/or others) reasons to prefer 10A96.

There is.

I’m aware that Build 10A96 Client, following a bone-stock installation, includes 3,740 PPC binaries (of at least 32-bit). EDIT to add: 10A96 contains 41 ppc64 binaries.

Though I can’t find where it was noted in the original SL-PPC thread, Build 10A190 Client contains far fewer PPC binaries as Apple had, by that point, begun the task of stripping out PowerPC code.

This is why I continue to work with 10A96 and try to forward-port elements from the temporally newer 10.5.8, as several of 10.5.8’s refinements would ultimately be carried over, albeit in Intel-only form, to Snow Leopard 10.6.0 retail and later.

ANOTHER EDIT to add: I wouldn’t begin to know where to start looking, but if we were able to pinpoint the exact files in Build 10A96 which cause Macports to fail, and try to migrate over the same files from Build 10A190 (provided they aren’t dynamic libraries or frameworks), this might get things to work on the 10A96 side.

Last edited:

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
There is.

I’m aware that Build 10A96 Client, following a bone-stock installation, includes 3,740 PPC binaries (of at least 32-bit). EDIT to add: 10A96 contains 41 ppc64 binaries.

Though I can’t find where it was noted in the original SL-PPC thread, Build 10A190 Client contains far fewer PPC binaries as Apple had, by that point, begun the task of stripping out PowerPC code.

This is why I continue to work with 10A96 and try to forward-port elements from the temporally newer 10.5.8, as several of 10.5.8’s refinements would ultimately be carried over, albeit in Intel-only form, to Snow Leopard 10.6.0 retail and later.

ANOTHER EDIT to add: I wouldn’t begin to know where to start looking, but if we were able to pinpoint the exact files in Build 10A96 which cause Macports to fail, and try to migrate over the same files from Build 10A190 (provided they aren’t dynamic libraries or frameworks), this might get things to work on the 10A96 side.

1. Do you happen to have a list of ppc64 binaries? This is very interesting for me.

2. I will try inquiring re sandbox problem. My knowledge is not enough here, but it will be nice to fix that.

1. Do you happen to have a list of ppc64 binaries? This is very interesting for me.

This is what came up for me in 10A96:

Code:
./System/Library/CoreServices/SKPlugins/AEServer.service: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/CoreServices/SKPlugins/AEServer_debug.service: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/CoreServices/SKPlugins/AEServer_profile.service: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/Resources/BridgeSupport/AppKit.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/BridgeSupport/CoreGraphics.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Automator.framework/Frameworks/MediaBrowser.framework/Versions/A/MediaBrowser: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/Resources/BridgeSupport/CoreFoundation.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/AE: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/Versions/A/AE: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/Versions/A/Support/AEServer: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Resources/BridgeSupport/Foundation.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Ruby: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/Ruby: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/libruby.1.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/libruby.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/bigdecimal.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/curses.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/dbm.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/bubblebabble.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/md5.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/rmd160.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/sha1.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/sha2.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/dl.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/enumerator.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/etc.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/fcntl.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/iconv.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/io/wait.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/nkf.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/openssl.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/pty.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/racc/cparse.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/readline.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/sdbm.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/socket.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/stringio.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/strscan.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/syck.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/syslog.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/tcltklib.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/thread.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/tkutil.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/zlib.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources/BridgeSupport/ScreenSaver.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libcom_err.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libdes425.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libgssapi_krb5.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libIOKit.A.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libIOKit.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libk5crypto.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libkrb4.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libkrb5.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libkrb524.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libkrb5support.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/liblber.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libldap.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libldap_r.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libruby.1.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libruby.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures

Here, the number appears to be 61, not 41, but I haven’t yet delved into whether all of those are ppc64 as the fourth architecture, or if that fourth architecture isn’t something else, such as ARM.

When I get a chance to later, I’ll try another method to see whether I can get a more precise read on the above.

2. I will try inquiring re sandbox problem. My knowledge is not enough here, but it will be nice to fix that.

Thank you for any exploration on which you embark. I appreciate it.

This is what came up for me in 10A96:

Code:
./System/Library/CoreServices/SKPlugins/AEServer.service: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/CoreServices/SKPlugins/AEServer_debug.service: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/CoreServices/SKPlugins/AEServer_profile.service: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/Resources/BridgeSupport/AppKit.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/BridgeSupport/CoreGraphics.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Automator.framework/Frameworks/MediaBrowser.framework/Versions/A/MediaBrowser: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/Resources/BridgeSupport/CoreFoundation.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/AE: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/Versions/A/AE: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/Versions/A/Support/AEServer: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Resources/BridgeSupport/Foundation.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Ruby: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/Ruby: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/libruby.1.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/libruby.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/bigdecimal.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/curses.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/dbm.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/bubblebabble.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/md5.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/rmd160.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/sha1.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/sha2.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/dl.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/enumerator.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/etc.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/fcntl.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/iconv.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/io/wait.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/nkf.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/openssl.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/pty.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/racc/cparse.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/readline.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/sdbm.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/socket.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/stringio.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/strscan.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/syck.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/syslog.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/tcltklib.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/thread.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/tkutil.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/zlib.bundle: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources/BridgeSupport/ScreenSaver.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libcom_err.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libdes425.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libgssapi_krb5.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libIOKit.A.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libIOKit.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libk5crypto.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libkrb4.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libkrb5.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libkrb524.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libkrb5support.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/liblber.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libldap.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libldap_r.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libruby.1.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
./usr/lib/libruby.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures

Here, the number appears to be 61, not 41, but I haven’t yet delved into whether all of those are ppc64 as the fourth architecture, or if that fourth architecture isn’t something else, such as ARM.

When I get a chance to later, I’ll try another method to see whether I can get a more precise read on the above.

Thank you for any exploration on which you embark. I appreciate it.

And these appear to be 61 items which come up when searching for “ppc64” specifically. I think this the 61-to-41 discrepancy lies in this command syntax finding not only binaries, but also dynamic libraries. Most of it appears to be related to Ruby:

Code:
./System/Library/CoreServices/SKPlugins/AEServer.service (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/CoreServices/SKPlugins/AEServer_debug.service (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/CoreServices/SKPlugins/AEServer_profile.service (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/Resources/BridgeSupport/AppKit.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/BridgeSupport/CoreGraphics.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Automator.framework/Frameworks/MediaBrowser.framework/Versions/A/MediaBrowser (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/Resources/BridgeSupport/CoreFoundation.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/AE (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/Versions/A/AE (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/Versions/A/Support/AEServer (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit executable ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Resources/BridgeSupport/Foundation.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Ruby (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/Ruby (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/libruby.1.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/libruby.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/bigdecimal.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/curses.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/dbm.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/bubblebabble.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/md5.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/rmd160.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/sha1.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/sha2.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/dl.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/enumerator.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/etc.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/fcntl.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/iconv.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/io/wait.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/nkf.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/openssl.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/pty.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/racc/cparse.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/readline.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/sdbm.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/socket.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/stringio.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/strscan.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/syck.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/syslog.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/tcltklib.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/thread.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/tkutil.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/zlib.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources/BridgeSupport/ScreenSaver.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libcom_err.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libdes425.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libgssapi_krb5.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libIOKit.A.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libIOKit.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libk5crypto.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libkrb4.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libkrb5.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libkrb524.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libkrb5support.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/liblber.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libldap.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libldap_r.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libruby.1.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libruby.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
And these appear to be 61 items which come up when searching for “ppc64” specifically. I think this the 61-to-41 discrepancy lies in this command syntax finding not only binaries, but also dynamic libraries. Most of it appears to be related to Ruby:

Code:
./System/Library/CoreServices/SKPlugins/AEServer.service (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/CoreServices/SKPlugins/AEServer_debug.service (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/CoreServices/SKPlugins/AEServer_profile.service (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/Resources/BridgeSupport/AppKit.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/BridgeSupport/CoreGraphics.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Automator.framework/Frameworks/MediaBrowser.framework/Versions/A/MediaBrowser (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/Resources/BridgeSupport/CoreFoundation.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/AE (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/Versions/A/AE (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/Versions/A/Support/AEServer (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit executable ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Resources/BridgeSupport/Foundation.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Ruby (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/Ruby (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/libruby.1.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/libruby.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/bigdecimal.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/curses.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/dbm.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/bubblebabble.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/md5.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/rmd160.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/sha1.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest/sha2.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/digest.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/dl.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/enumerator.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/etc.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/fcntl.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/iconv.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/io/wait.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/nkf.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/openssl.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/pty.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/racc/cparse.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/readline.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/sdbm.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/socket.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/stringio.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/strscan.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/syck.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/syslog.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/tcltklib.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/thread.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/tkutil.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0/zlib.bundle (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
./System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources/BridgeSupport/ScreenSaver.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libcom_err.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libdes425.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libgssapi_krb5.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libIOKit.A.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libIOKit.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libk5crypto.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libkrb4.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libkrb5.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libkrb524.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libkrb5support.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/liblber.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libldap.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libldap_r.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libruby.1.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
./usr/lib/libruby.dylib (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
The Foundation, IOKit, CoreFoundation and AppKit dynamic libraries and frameworks are worthy of note as these cannot be easily recompiled and will need to be copied over, if possible. Ruby of course can be built from source.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
Have you tried building RubyCocoa-67, RubyGems-17 and RubyOnRails-28 from the Apple Open Source Projects?

Since Darwinbuild idea didn’t work so far, I have not yet dealt with building stuff from AOS. I will get back to it when I have mood, but it looks complicated from the outset, since there is no ecosystem to build stuff, and I will apparently need to figure out how to compile every item case-by-case. (Or otherwise I will have to write portfiles myself, which is not an easy thing either.)

P. S. For the context, I am an economist, not a developer, so nothing in this area is immediately obvious, I need to learn stuff. Then, while most of such learning is trivial (just requires to read and try), free time is a scarce commodity, so to say.

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
Since Darwinbuild idea didn’t work so far, I have not yet dealt with building stuff from AOS. I will get back to it when I have mood, but it looks complicated from the outset, since there is no ecosystem to build stuff, and I will apparently need to figure out how to compile every item case-by-case. (Or otherwise I will have to write portfiles myself, which is not an easy thing either.)

P. S. For the context, I am an economist, not a developer, so nothing in this area is immediately obvious, I need to learn stuff. Then, while most of such learning is trivial (just requires to read and try), free time is a scarce commodity, so to say.
No problem at all. I’m a retail manager and a separated father, with childcare 50% of the week so I appreciate constraints on time completely. I think the work you’re doing on Xcode and MacPorts is a great contribution. With others volunteering to test kexts and components, following @B S Magnet, and myself slowly working my way through AOSP one by one, i think we all contribute in our own way which is what makes this community effort so enjoyable.

Reactions: barracuda156

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
I am not sure if it works yet, but it built:

transmission-x11 @3.00_1+gtk

Transmission 3.0 on PowerPC.

Gtk-Gnutella
remains broken: it builds but fails at linking due to several `upnp` symbols. Cannot figure out why.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.