Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouieTien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Hi, I have a Macbook Pro Retina, Early 2015, and I've been running into some problems lately. The built-in keyboard and trackpad isn't working, and I really need it working since I use it for uni. I've checked mostly everything, done anything within my power. I'm too afraid to open it up and have a look, since I don't know much about hardware, but that being said, it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. It keeps sort of "coming, and going" meaning sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. A lot of articles on forums suggest that it's a hardware issue, but I get input when I try to clear/reset SMC and similar things. Just up until yesterday, I was also able to reset the PRAM, and then the keyboard and mouse would work again, then not work after a restart. Then I had to once again reset the PRAM, and then it would work again.

But since yesterday, I've been unable to reset the PRAM, i can still however, get input when clearing SMC.
So, I'm all out of options, I'm gonna go to a repair shop the day after tomorrow if I don't find a solution until then. Really looking for help on this one, I'm open to all suggestions
[doublepost=1516050943][/doublepost]TL;DR, keyboard and trackpad not working, tried resetting smc and pram, worked for a while, now it doesn't, need help pretty urgently

Update: Went to a repair shop, they told me it's a very common logic board problem on the Macbook Pro 2015 model. Apparently, they get the same problem a lot. I ended up paying 2500 DKK for the repair, which was very expensive. (approx. $409,67 USD, £297,33 GBP or 335,71€)

Last edited:
Reactions: loki san hitleson

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Take it to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Repair center. I wouldn't trust a PC repair shop that isn't Apple authorized. Best bet is to go to an Apple Store, they sometimes fix things for free past warranty (sometimes).

I've owned Macs that have had zero issues and Macs that have issues after warranty runs out and before AppleCare runs out...one that I didn't have AppleCare on, another that turned out to be a lemon and got replaced at 2 years old w/AppleCare...I highly recommend getting AppleCare when buying a new Mac, consider it part of the purchase price...I won't get a Mac without it again.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Take it to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store genius bar and ask them to check it over.
See what they say...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.