Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loco8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
I have a late 2017 13" MBP. Today the trackpad and the keyboard stopped working at the same time. The only thing that works is the power button (and the touchbar). Nothing happened prior to the incident so I don't know why the hell they stopped working all of a sudden. But I've noticed one thing. The built-in keyboard and trackpad DO work on the log in screen. When I restart the computer, I can introduce my password with the built in keyboard, move the cursor around with the trackpad and click log in just fine. I guess this means it's not a hardware issue (or at least I hope so). However, when the desktop appears, the cursor gets stuck on the top left corner and the keyboard doesn't work either. I've tried doing SMC and NVRAM reset and haven't had any luck. Rebooting in safe mode doesn't work either. Right now I'm using an external bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I've thought about doing a factory reset to the computer but would that fix anything?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
If I got this right, you are able to log into your user account with an external Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

If that is indeed the case, create a new user from System Preferences. Log out of your account, then log into the new one. If you are able to do so using the built-in keyboard and mouse, then it is some sort of damage/corruption/malware in your regular user account.

loco8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
If I got this right, you are able to log into your user account with an external Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

If that is indeed the case, create a new user from System Preferences. Log out of your account, then log into the new one. If you are able to do so using the built-in keyboard and mouse, then it is some sort of damage/corruption/malware in your regular user account.
No. What I meant is that I could log into my user account using the built-in keyboard and trackpad (I know, very weird). In that screen they worked just fine. However, as I logged into my accound and the desktop appeared, the keyboard stopped working and the cursor was stuck on the top left corner, not being able to use the trackpad either. I did a factory reset because because I tried lots of things and none worked. The factory reset didn't solve anything. Now, the built in keyboard and trackpad don't work at all, not even in the log in screen. They don't even work in safe mode or when I was reinstalling the OS. I'm afraid it's a hardware problem. It's very weird that it happened all of a sudden, the laptop didn't fall or anything, they just stopped working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.