Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loco8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
I have a late 2017 13" MBP. Today the trackpad and the keyboard stopped working at the same time. The only thing that works is the power button (and the touchbar). Nothing happened prior to the incident so I don't know why the hell they stopped working all of a sudden. But I've noticed one thing. The built-in keyboard and trackpad DO work on the log in screen. When I restart the computer, I can introduce my password with the built-in keyboard, move the cursor around with the trackpad and click log in just fine. I guess this means it's not a hardware issue (or at least I hope so). However, when the desktop appears, the cursor gets stuck on the top left corner and the keyboard doesn't work either. I've tried doing SMC and NVRAM reset and haven't had any luck. Rebooting in safe mode doesn't work either. Right now I'm using an external bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I've thought about doing a factory reset to the computer but would that fix anything?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
When you say rebooting in safe mode doesn't work, do you mean it won't boot in safe mode, or that safe mode doesn't fix the problem?

It does seem like a software issue like you say, since it operates early in the boot process but not later. A factory reset might help then.

Christi Corley Hunter

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
I have a late 2017 13" MBP. Today the trackpad and the keyboard stopped working at the same time. The only thing that works is the power button (and the touchbar). Nothing happened prior to the incident so I don't know why the hell they stopped working all of a sudden. But I've noticed one thing. The built-in keyboard and trackpad DO work on the log in screen. When I restart the computer, I can introduce my password with the built-in keyboard, move the cursor around with the trackpad and click log in just fine. I guess this means it's not a hardware issue (or at least I hope so). However, when the desktop appears, the cursor gets stuck on the top left corner and the keyboard doesn't work either. I've tried doing SMC and NVRAM reset and haven't had any luck. Rebooting in safe mode doesn't work either. Right now I'm using an external bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I've thought about doing a factory reset to the computer but would that fix anything?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Mine is doing the same thing. Did you get a fix for this?

loco8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Mine is doing the same thing. Did you get a fix for this?
It fixed itself I guess. Everything I tried didn't fix it so I kinda gave up. A few days later I started the computer and everything was back to normal and working fine again. I have no idea what could have happened. It hasn't happened again since then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.