Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teachher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Hi all -
This is my first post, but I'm a longtime lurker. Thanks in advance to all who can help me.

I'm a high school teacher and I recently receieved a $20,000 grant to do an iPad pilot at my school. Part of the pilot will be creating a mobile lab with 15 iPads that teachers can check out and take to their classroom to use for lessons. The problem is that the $20k is less than I requested and I hate to drop a chunk of it on the Bretford iPad cart. I mean, it's pretty cool, but it's $1600!

tx322lla.001.jpg

I want to create some sort of DIY solution to store 15 iPads in a secure way. It doesn't need to have charging/syncing built in - I don't mind mounting a couple powered USB ports on whatever I find.

I had a couple of ideas:
1. I could get two of these:
41iEh67zslL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and attach them to a cart.

OR

I could get something like this:
ELR_011.gif

and just have one drawer for each iPad.

Of course, neither would be as secure as the Bretford cart, but they'd be significantly less expensive. When they aren't being used I can always lock them in a closet.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas of how to store/transport 15 iPads?

Thanks!

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
My DYI suggestion. Check out this steel rifle locker from walmart for $99. Walmart only charges 97 cents to ship it. Have the school handyman install wheels, or attach it to a dolly platform so it doesn't tip over when you push it around.

For storing the iPads, get a couple of 8 1/2 x 11 plastic folder stacking trays. They're like $3 from staples.

If you want to turn into a mobile charging station, mount a couple of power strips inside, and run a 25 foot extension cord through out of the locker. You can keep iPads charge over night, and have it under lock and key. Add a wireless router, and turn the gun locker into a portable wifi access point. You'll never have to worry about signal strength.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sentinel-10-Gun-Security-Cabinet/14710131

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.