Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sickminecraft45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
Hi, I have got a Power Mac G5 running Mac OS X 10.5.8 and I have upgraded the original Pioneer optical drive to an NEC one that supports dual-layer DVDs. I'm trying to make a bootable Mac OS x 10.5 DVD and I'm using Verbatim 8x dual-layer DVDs and the disk utility says burn failed! I have rad people having problems with other branded dual-layer DVDs but Verbatim branded ones work for them. What is going wrong and what is the solution?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Are you sure you have the right type of DVD?

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 04.30.00 copy.png

For instance, my Mac tells me that the selected drive (System Information>Disc Burning) can only write -R, -R DL (Dual Layer), -RW, +R, +R DL, and +RW. Now that's pretty much a good range, but not all DVD drives are the same. And you need to match up the DL discs with what your drive can burn.

That's where I'd start. If everything is correct, or you've checked that already then you might try reducing the speed of your burn. I also assume you are telling DU that you are using a DL disc right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

Sickminecraft45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
Are you sure you have the right type of DVD?

View attachment 1989730

For instance, my Mac tells me that the selected drive (System Information>Disc Burning) can only write -R, -R DL (Dual Layer), -RW, +R, +R DL, and +RW. Now that's pretty much a good range, but not all DVD drives are the same. And you need to match up the DL discs with what your drive can burn.

That's where I'd start. If everything is correct, or you've check that already then you might try reducing the speed of your burn. I also assume you are telling DU that you are using a DL disc right?

What's the model number of the drive?
Sorry, but I have successfully burned the disc. I must have done a wrong setting last time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.