Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefanb0y

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
How has your experience been with burn in on Samsung and pixel devices? I really don't want to root but I usually do to hide the gesture bar and some status bar icons on the pixel devices. On the iPhone the gesture bar and icon switches to a pure black colour depending on background which I feel minimizes burn in but on my pixel it just goes to a white and dark transparent grey which I don't think is as good at obviating burn in.

Am i worried for nothing?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I have no burn in on my Pixel XL or Pixel 3. I don't use 3 button navigation though. I use gesture navigation. Which is very similar to gesture navigation on the iPhone.

Reactions: Technerd108

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I've never personally experienced it yet. I've had Samsungs since Galaxy S7/S7 Edge. I used my S7 Edge for a year and my S7 for one year daily and off and on for about two years afterwards, in rotation with other devices.

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I have not yet experienced OLED burn in. I have seen it more on the Galaxy S4 series but not on recent phones.

I have had OLED screens on my Windows laptops and never had an issue. Windows has a lot more static display areas too.

It does happen and is a known problem with OLED screens but I think it takes time. I think most people will get a new phone before it would happen unless there is a screen defect.

I am not sure if screen brightness has anything to do with it but I am guessing that if you have your screen at full brightness all the time that might accelerate the issue.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I was paranoid with my first AMOLED display but it was fine. I use gesture controls to limit the possibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.