Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hbsoftware

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2024
Hi
i recently saved 5 mac g3's and 3 imacs from being recycled...unfortunately the recycling company took the hard drives out of them to destroy because of "data privacy"...

i have lots of ide hard drives but from PCs ...40gb 80gb 120gb etc etc and the scsi drives i have are on a hard drive rack, probably formatted to fat32 i guess, i have lots of them...

the only mac i have that works and boots is an SE/30 so its useless to burn cds

i have downloaded mac os9 my PC from macinstallers.tech
how can i correctly burn the image? so that i can boot the macs with it , format the drives and install the os..
i have a pc with windows 10 and other with XP, both have internet acess and cdrw drive

best regards
Hugo

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
i have downloaded mac os9 my PC from macinstallers.tech
If you downloaded an ISO file then use your CD writing software to create CD-ROM of ISO. Those old Mac CD-ROM drives can be finicky regarding discs. Make sure you use compatible media and burn the disc at slow speed.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
how can i correctly burn the image? so that i can boot the macs with it , format the drives and install the os..

I'd recommend CDBurnerXP. It's free and is compatible with Windows versions from 2000 through to 10. When I used Windows and PCs predominantly, this was my default program for burning CD/DVDs. As @Bigwaff has advised, to be on the safe side, you should use 2x or 4x for burning discs that are going to be used with optical drives that old.

Reactions: Raging Dufus

Rairii

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2024
.toast images are just raw images that you can burn using whatever (rename to .iso if needed); for DMGs use poweriso which can burn them, or use dmg2img to convert them to raw image which you can rename to .iso and burn.

hbsoftware

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2024
Thanks for all the help. I was surprised with how easy it was...i never had formatted a mac before, only pcs... the g3's are all done, i cleaned them and installed ide drives , because the scsi ones i had have way more pins (maybe more modern)... now i have to make 2 good imacs out of those broken 3 and format them too and i also bought a quadra 700 also without hdd..i think that one is going to be s challenge to install an os...what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20240320_105919.jpg
    20240320_105919.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240320_105923.jpg
    20240320_105923.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Love
Reactions: TheShortTimer

hbsoftware

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2024
Another question i have... what do i need to do to install the zip drive? Some of these macs have a zip drive but it doesnt appear anywhere on the operating system...do i have to install drivers or it only appears when i insert a zip disk?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
do i have to install drivers or it only appears when i insert a zip disk?
If memory serves, the ZIP disk will appear on the desktop when inserted. There might be a System Extension which loads. You would see an icon on startup in the list of extension icons that appear.

Reactions: hbsoftware

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Another question i have... what do i need to do to install the zip drive?
The Zip drive is connected to the ATA bus (like the CD-ROM) and should thus appear in “Apple System Profiler” even when it’s empty. Apart from that, just insert a disk, format (“initialise”) if necessary and have fun with a whopping 100 megs of storage. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

hbsoftware

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2024
The Zip drive is connected to the ATA bus (like the CD-ROM) and should thus appear in “Apple System Profiler” even when it’s empty. Apart from that, just insert a disk, format (“initialise”) if necessary and have fun with a whopping 100 megs of storage. ;)
Yes if i go to the place were you initialize the drives i see the zip drive but it says unsupported or something like that... i will dig up a bag of zip diskettes that i have and see if it works.. thank you very much to you and all ppl in the forum for being helpfull and sorry for being a total applle noob.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.