Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
I bought a late 2013 MacBook Pro on eBay and it came with a burn on the pins on the MagSafe DC-In charging port of the MBP, as well as on the pins on the cable of the charger brick.

(Please check attached images at the end of the post)

Judging from the fact that's it's the 2nd and 4th pin that's burned (on both ports), I'd say it happened with this specific charger.

The rubber protective that covers the metals inside the cable is also cut near the port. The seller claims it's from an accident where their kid ran throught the cable or something. I see how that might have caused the rubber on the cable to strain and cut itself, but I don't understand how it could have also caused a burn on the pins.

The seller claims it charges fine. I've only tried charging it once, but it seems to charge normally.

Is this situation dangerous to myself or my MBP? Or I can just apply some insulating tape on the cut area on the cable and I'm good to go?

If it's not safe, does either the charger, or the MagSafe DC-In Board on the MBP need to be replaced?

Thanks in-advance!

Images (click on the thumbnails for full size):

Burn on the pins on the port of the cable:
1.png
2.png

The rubber on the cable is cut near the port:
3.png

Burn on the MagSafe DC-In board:
4.png
5.png
6.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd replace the charger.
If the MBP charges normally with the new charger, I'd just "watch it" for a while.
If after several weeks no problems, I'd just use it (but continue to keep an eye on the charging port).

Last edited:
Reactions: qqurioustiger8945

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
I'd replace the charger.
If the MBP charges normally with the new charger, I'd just "watch it" for a while.
If after several weeks no problems, I'd just use it (but continue to keep an eye on the charging port).

Thank you for your advice.

Interesting, to be honest, I'd expect to hear either "replace them both" or "replace neither and just let it be."

Is there any reason you specifically focus on the charger?

geejay9876

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2018
Hi,

It seems that the two black pins are stuck, they are a bit shorter. I suspect that this caused some bad contact, which in turn caused the black contacts.

I would put some alcohol or cleaning solvent on the contacts / pins and clean them. Afterwards I would move the pins on the plug with a pointed instrument until they travel freely again and are fully extended.

And put some electric isolation tape around the exposed cable part.

I would replace the charger only if it doesnt charge anymore.

Cheers

Gee

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.