Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Euan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
UK
Hi,

First, sorry if this is in the wrong place. Secondly, I am posting this on behalf of my g/f.

Now the problem... she has a Powerbook at home with a superdrive. She has burnt DVDs (not using iDVD) that contain Photoshop files (Photoshop 6).

She wants to access these DVDs (on a PC) at work to get the Photoshop files (she's got photoshop CS at work).

When she puts the DVD in the PC it will not read the DVD... is there any specific reason why this wouldn't work? Should she use iDVD and use specific settings?

I don't have a Mac (yet!) so it's harder for me to help her.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Euan

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Euan said:
EDIT: She uses OSX 10.2.8 - don't know if this makes a difference.

It will not matter, burning has been supported for quite a while. That link is the same for burning any thing, whether for mac or windows. So if your g/f has been using Finder already there is something else to it.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
One solution is to have her burn data DVDs within Toast and make sure to select the hybrid PC/Mac option. Also, is she burning double layer DVDs or single layer? If she were burning double layer, maybe the PC drive would have trouble reading it (but it seems all DVD drives should be able to read double layer--but some drives may be finicky).

Euan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
UK
spinne1 said:
One solution is to have her burn data DVDs within Toast and make sure to select the hybrid PC/Mac option. Also, is she burning double layer DVDs or single layer? If she were burning double layer, maybe the PC drive would have trouble reading it (but it seems all DVD drives should be able to read double layer--but some drives may be finicky).
Hi spinne1, thanks for the reply. I'm waiting to hear how she burnt here DVDs before to see if she did it through Finder (which should create it as a hybrid format).

Euan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
UK
I found this page... http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61342

From URL Above said:
If you have a computer that can burn DVD-R discs, inserting a DVD-R disc in Mac OS X 10.2 provides the additional option to open iDVD. With Mac OS X 10.2.8 or earlier, DVD-R discs burned in the Finder are Mac OS Extended format (HFS Plus), not hybrid. With Mac OS X 10.3 or later, they are hybrid.
Does this mean that she won't be able to use Finder to burn in hybrid format? Could she use iDVD to burn in hybrid format?

Thanks for your help.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Euan said:
I found this page... http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61342

Does this mean that she won't be able to use Finder to burn in hybrid format? Could she use iDVD to burn in hybrid format?

Thanks for your help.

There's the problem, like i said above iDVD is used for creating a DVD based menu system for your movies.

I did a simple search for an app and came up with this:

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/BurnX-Free.shtml

I can't recommend the app as I have not used it, but it looks goo and is compatible with 10.2.

Euan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
UK
DeSnousa said:
There's the problem
Yep, looks like that could be it.

DeSnousa said:
I did a simple search for an app and came up with this:

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/BurnX-Free.shtml

I can't recommend the app as I have not used it, but it looks goo and is compatible with 10.2.
Thanks, I had a look at it. Looks like it should burn CDs ok.

Anyone know any other similar programs that would burn CDs but also DVDs?

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I think it should be fine with a DVD disk, its like Finder, you create a burn folder and insert the disk and burn away. When the disk is inserted, seeing its a data CD it acts just like a CD but with more space. If that makes any sense.

Just give the app a go, if not here's another app which is a trail:

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Dragon-Burn.shtml

Or if your g/f knows a bit she can create a .dmg and use terminal to convert it to .iso.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050819185219196

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
DiscBlaze is pretty cool.
However if you burn to DVD-RAM you can't add stuff to it later. For this, it's better to use Disk Utility (to format) and just drag files to the disc in the Finder.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I don't find Tiger to be great. I think it's better to get a cheap burning program.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
What I usually do when burning DVD's of any kind - be it a movie, or files, etc - since I don't have a SuperDrive on my iBook, is this:

If it is a DVD movie created in iMovie/iDVD:
1) Open the completed project in iDVD, and save the project as an image.

2)Transfer the new image file to a computer with a DVD burner via network, email, etc (sometimes you can get an image small enough to burn on a CD, and can transfer the file to a capable computer that way - even DVD movies, as an image is an image, regardless of contents).

3)Burn the image to a DVD on the new computer. On a Mac, open Disk Utility, drag the image to the left panel, and click 'Burn'. All done :)

---------------------------
If it is several random files, sometimes of differing file types, I do this:

1)Select them all, right (ctrl) click, and 'Create Archive'...this will zip all the files into on package.

2)Transfer the zip file to another computer, same as step 2 above.

3)Unzip the contents on the new machine, and burn them to DVD. If on a Mac, I open the blank DVD in finder, drag the files, and click burn.

Euan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
UK
Folks, thanks for all the feedback. I'll take a look at all the different applications tonight and see what feedback each software has.

At least there are a few software options which should all do the job.

Euan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
UK
DeSnousa said:
I think it should be fine with a DVD disk, its like Finder, you create a burn folder and insert the disk and burn away. When the disk is inserted, seeing its a data CD it acts just like a CD but with more space. If that makes any sense.
If BurnX works with DVDs then I think that will be the solution given it's free! ;)

Will let you know the outcome.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
DeSnousa said:
The best solution is to buy Tiger (10.4), its a great update and i believe 10.2 is starting to get outdated.
DeSnousa is right on the money again. I went from 10.2.? to 10.4 and the difference is amazing. Everything seems to be faster, more streamlined, and of course the added functionality of Tiger.

Euan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
UK
faintember said:
DeSnousa is right on the money again. I went from 10.2.? to 10.4 and the difference is amazing. Everything seems to be faster, more streamlined, and of course the added functionality of Tiger.
I suspect her plan is to upgrade soon but her main objective at the moment is to get work from her PB onto a PC... I think if she needs to buy software to burn then it would be best upgrading to 10.4 and using Finder to do the job instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.