Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mongoose78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
hi guys, i just got a dvd burner and would like to know which program to buy so I can put all my home videos from my digital video cam into DVD-Rs. i just don't know where to start. thanks for your time.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
mongoose78 said:
hi guys, i just got a dvd burner and would like to know which program to buy so I can put all my home videos from my digital video cam into DVD-Rs. i just don't know where to start. thanks for your time.

Hi mongoose78, welcome to the forum, you need to give a bit more info about what you are doing, ie what mac /os you are using, and what format your home movies are in rtc
If you have a newish mac it should have come with iLife this would have iMovie for capture & editing & iDVD for creating the DVD. Also search the forum, there are lots of posts on this topic.

mongoose78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
i have a G4, 733mhz. i have no problem capturing the video because i have Final Cut Express. what i can't figure out is how to convert the captured movie into a DVD burnable format so I can watch it on my DVD player. i do have iDVD and iMOVIE. thanks for replying. :cool:

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
mongoose78 said:
i have a G4, 733mhz. i have no problem capturing the video because i have Final Cut Express. what i can't figure out is how to convert the captured movie into a DVD burnable format so I can watch it on my DVD player. i do have iDVD and iMOVIE. thanks for replying. :cool:

If you export your movie from FCE, then you can import it into iDVD and make a DVD, I think the latest ver of iDVD lets you use an external DVD drive. or if you want just a simple DVD with no menus you can drag the exported movied into Toast & burn as a DVD.

When exporting from FCE you want to export it as a DV file. FILE > EXPORT > QUICK TIME MOVIE
Settings: Current Settings
Include: Audio & video
Markers: chapter makers (if you have used them)

Do not select "Recompress All Frames "
If you select "Make Movie Self Contained" It will create a new movie independent of the original media, if this is left unselected it is a reference movie that uses the original media to play. If you delete the original clips you captured in FCE the saved movie will not play. It is safer to make the movie self contained, but it uses up more disk space & takes longer to export.

This method if from FCP but should be the same on express. I dont use iDVD, so cant help you with that.

mongoose78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
i was able to capture my movies using FCE, and burn it on iDVD. thanks a lot for the help :) the only thing is that my version of iDVD (2) does not allow me to create chapters. oh well, at least i got the movie in there. thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.