Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jennifer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
What you should know: (1) I have a PowerBook running OS 10.3.7. (2) I've done sucessful multisession burns before just not burning the entire home directory. (3) I did a test run with a made up user/identity and tried to burn the home directory (creating an image through Disk Utility, etc.) and found that afterwards the disk was unreadable in OS X (but not in OS 9). (4) I also tried to get the disk to read on an older iBook, but no luck either.

Questions: (1) Is there a fix for this problem or is this just not possible in the OS? (2) Also, and most importantly, any suggestions on an application that supports multisession burning with DVD-R's?

Thank you,
Jennifer

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I would try something other than the Finder for burning, namely Toast. In my opinion, it's must-have software anyway, just for more robust burning. It should handle your needs just fine. My bet is the problem with the Finder is that permissions get in the way. Toast should be more ignorant of them and at most you'll have to alter them if you need to restore your Home folder. The other option would be to put your computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode and burn it from another Mac. That should also work...

But I've never tried any of these things, so I can't guarantee it...

cpjakes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.