Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I have a weird question for everyone. I have an iPhone 12 Pro. I have developed a very bad case of bursitis in my elbow. Having trouble holding a coffee cup or my iPhone for very long. Was wondering if the weight difference of one ounce in the iPhone mini would make any real difference? Anyone who went from a pro back to a mini offer any advise. I thank you.

geraldem

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2015
Hope you feel better. Regarding the diff between 12pro and mini…doubt it will make much of a difference with your elbow. You sound like me though when I am bored with the iPhone and looking for something to switch up. I will look for any reason to justify a change to address my boredom with the iPhone. But you may have beat me there LOL. The mini is a great device though…can’t go wrong if you are looking for something smaller with many of the same features and capabilities of the pro. You will miss the screen real estate though…and maybe the zoom lens.

cydiaguru

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2021
Hi,

I just went from iPhone XS, to iPhone 12 Pro, then to 12 mini as my main phone in literally a month. The 12 is heavy, the 12 mini disappears in your hand. I took the sim out of my 12 pro and basically use it as an iPad now.

If you had the iPhone 4 or 5, the 12 mini feels perfect. Much easier for taking pictures, though the cameras are noticeably worse coming from the 12 pro. Worth the switch imo.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I have a weird question for everyone. I have an iPhone 12 Pro. I have developed a very bad case of bursitis in my elbow. Having trouble holding a coffee cup or my iPhone for very long. Was wondering if the weight difference of one ounce in the iPhone mini would make any real difference? Anyone who went from a pro back to a mini offer any advise. I thank you.

Not a weird question at all! I've developed a severe pain in the hands and fingers from using my 12 Pro Max, my doc agrees that this is the reason. I've been testing the smaller phones and the 2oz lighter iPhone 12 seems to be alright for me. Not the 12 Pro though, which is only 1oz lighter. So for my pain there is a very definite cutoff point for what is too much.

The Mini is almost 2oz lighter than the 12 Pro, so it's possible that it'll work for you. The 12 Mini is light as a feather... I'm still on the fence whether to change to the regular 12 or the 12 Mini as the Mini just feels like such a fun size...and it's amazing to be able to use it completely one handed.

In any case good luck and hope your elbow heals quickly!

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
If you had the iPhone 4 or 5, the 12 mini feels perfect. Much easier for taking pictures, though the cameras are noticeably worse coming from the 12 pro. Worth the switch imo.
aren't the camera systems exactly the same if you don't zoom past 2x?

Reactions: maerz001

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
I think that based on your description, you will be amazed by how much lighter the mini is. I came from XS and despite not having any physical issue like you do, I felt the light mini immediately. I constantly think about trying bigger 12 but being able to use mini only in one hand is so much fun than I still have some thoughts that once mini can’t be switched to anything else. You will loose some of the photo quality and battery life of course. But maybe your hands will thank you in longterm. Hopefully it will get better for you anyway. ?

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
Yes, it's a noticeable difference!

Also the regular 12 is a big difference compared to the 11 pro (was my first option, before going with the mini)

Reactions: Oohara and prazakj

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Yes, it's a noticeable difference!

Also the regular 12 is a big difference compared to the 11 pro (was my first option, before going with the mini)
Of course it is. 12 is 26g lighter which you can tell in longer usage.

Reactions: Oohara

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Yes, 20 gr is a lot on a phone. The SE is a lot lighter than the 11 pro on hands, and the mini is like having nothing.
True. Actually I cracked my pocket in one of my pants because of heavy weight of my XS. Not even talking about shorts. ?

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
I had bursitis in my elbow and eventually shoulder. At least for me I had to quit the root cause at least temporarily to recover. In my case I was working out a lot and at the time was a sorter at UPS so constant movement all day long. I know you weren't looking for this as an answer, figured I try and help. Best of luck with recovery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.