Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 26, 2003
I've noticed over the last 10 years that a certain negative attitude about the post-Steve Jobs Apple has crept into the MR community that manifests itself in a number of ways. Typically, it's one of these expressions:
  • Apple isn't Apple anymore
  • Apple lost its way after Jobs died
  • Tim Cook and his greed has ruined everything
  • Tim Cook has done nothing new or noteworthy
  • Apple is just coasting on its former glory
Tonight, I watched some of the highlights from Jobs' last keynote in June of 2011, a mere 5 months before his death. It's easy to lose track of how much things have actually changed, how many amazing things have happened since then. But going back and being reminded of what was shiny and new at Apple just at the end of Jobs' time gives you a real perspective. Even I had forgotten how much has happened in Jobs died. It's almost hard to believe.

And to be clear: I'm not telling anyone they have to love Tim Cook or the post-Jobs Apple, but there really is no denying that a lot of great stuff has happened since then. You only need to watch that keynote to be reminded. That was Apple at the time. It seemed sort of awe-inspiring then, and considerably less so now. It's actually quite impressive when you consider what has been done since.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Apple has done some impressive stuff in the Tim era. Look at the M1 Macbook Pros for a strong example. Toning down the obsession over form and focusing more on the function has been one of their best moves.

Apple has also done some pretty unimpressive stuff during the Steve era... Does anyone remember Ping? I will admit had some good ideas, but it was executed pretty badly.

That said, Steve seemed like a perfectionist to a fault, and it seems like Apple has let their success get the best of them without having someone around to bring the company back into reality. (At least as far as is publically known...) Lots of fumbles lately, especially this month, which seems to coincide with their rising success.

I guess a lot of us just expect better from a company like Apple. It just doesn't seem like they care as much about that perfectionist reputation these days as they did during the Steve era, even though that reputation may or may not be founded on a rose-tinted perspective of that era...

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Steve was the (co) founder of Apple. Of course he did it because there was money to be had in the fledgling tech industry just like his best friend and erstwhile business partner, Bill Gates. But what he also shared with Gates was a genuine passionate belief in what he was doing, just for the sake of doing it. Did he make mistakes? Oh yes, but you can forgive the odd mistake when they're by a man who was following his dreams and sharing them with the world, warts and all.

Steve was a tech-head first and foremost. He loved personally showcasing new gear and new OS's at the keynotes. Probably partly because of his own narcissism, but not wholly: he genuinely was a mad scientist bouncing with excitement to show the rest of the world his latest inventions.

On the other hand Tim is a businessman primarily interested in watching the dollars grow. Try to picture Tim pulling an iPad Air out of a transit envelope and lovingly grinning at it, or demo'ing the very first iPod. Tim probably wouldn't have a clue how to even plug it in.

Reactions: calliex

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Every company grows, shrinks, succeeds, and fails to a point where it evolves into something that could be very different then when it started.

Apple is very successful and has been for a very long time, which is in of itself very impressive. Few companies have been able to keep rolling out successful products year after year.

Reactions: inkswamp

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I've also read stuff like Jony Ive is overrated. Apple has also changed quite a bit. They were on their way to being the top dog in many areas if they weren't already before Jobs's death, and now that they are there it's easy to hate them even if you are a fanboy. I think a lot of people also miss the days when Apple had to constantly innovate otherwise they wouldn't survive.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I've also read stuff like Jony Ive is overrated.
I think Jony Ive and Steve Jobs together were a winning partnership.

Thing is, though, Apple have had a string of industry-shaping, even society-changing, hits - the Apple II, the Mac, the iPod & iTunes Store, the iPhone & iPad… most companies would happily take any one of those as their legacy. Yes, that speaks to the talent that seized those opportunities when they came along, but it also takes a big, honking slice of serendipity… you can’t guarantee ”the next iPod” every few years, or create one by staring at a blank page and straining - and if Apple has a problem it is that they haven’t revolutionised the industry this decade. Slackers :).

Maybe Apple silicon comes close - we will see as time passes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.