Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pipian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
Does the 64 Bit Dual core make more of a difference on CIRC chips than RISC? Is it worth the six months or so?

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
If you've been waiting forever for a faster laptop, these new Yonah based
models certainly are tempting, even to me, but after the initial celebratory
snoopy dance ends, comes that nagging Rev " A " warning buzzer and I realize that this is just the very beginning of CORE WARS.

The Yonahs are the light weights, so imagine what the heavy weights will be like!

The up side is that these new laptops will probably be way more computer
than almost any average user will ever need.

The down side is spending $2000-$2500 now just to see your investment
leapfrogged in less than a year by competitive pressures.

The smart buyer will be very careful to consider just how much computer they really need over the next 2 years.

The predictions are Dual Core to Quad Core to Octa Core by 2008.

It's going to be a wild ride.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
FFTT said:
If you've been waiting forever for a faster laptop, these new Yonah based
models certainly are tempting, even to me, but after the initial celebratory
snoopy dance ends, comes that nagging Rev " A " warning buzzer and I realize that this is just the very beginning of CORE WARS.

The Yonahs are the light weights, so imagine what the heavy weights will be like!

The up side is that these new laptops will probably be way more computer
than almost any average user will ever need.

The down side is spending $2000-$2500 now just to see your investment
leapfrogged in less than a year by competitive pressures.

The smart buyer will be very careful to consider just how much computer they really need over the next 2 years.

The predictions are Dual Core to Quad Core to Octa Core by 2008.

It's going to be a wild ride.

wasn't he talking about an imac, not a laptop? so you're only talking about $1300-$1700 dollars or so

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
personally i'm going to wait for more universals to come out and also wait another couple of years my rev A is doing great and has no problems. that and i really don't trust that whole rosetta thing making programs work with an entirely different architecture

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Unless you need something right now, I would wait. Newer faster chips will be out (always are, but right now they are right around the corner).

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
ToddW said:
personally i'm going to wait for more universals to come out and also wait another couple of years my rev A is doing great and has no problems. that and i really don't trust that whole rosetta thing making programs work with an entirely different architecture

oh rosetta can be trusted to work, it just might not work fast enough for some. That aside, I think what you've said is good advice. Look at all your apps and how important they are to you (frequency of use, etc.) and which of them are universal or not. For those that are not, what are they like under Rosetta.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
joecool85 said:
Unless you need something right now, I would wait. Newer faster chips will be out (always are, but right now they are right around the corner).

how do you know they are right around the corner? do you really think they'll release something better than the new intel imac for around the same price? a dual-core mini for cheaper?

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
twoodcc said:
how do you know they are right around the corner? do you really think they'll release something better than the new intel imac for around the same price? a dual-core mini for cheaper?

unlike before we have now a roadmap for intel processors. apple will have to use always the (more or less) newest chips. so you could predict that there will be conroe imacs in fall 2006.

we also see the clocckspeed and pricing of the intel core duos. so i guess in the summer there will be a ~2.3 GHz imac.

irrªtiºnal

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
agreed... i have also the same question: being the Intel Core Duo part of the Centrino Technology thingy, rather from the Pentim M family, why is it in a desktop?

i mean, really the bus speeds could be MUCh better, and i;ve heard something about high-latency issues of DDR2 RAM for Pentium M;s

this actually makes me wonder that this Intel iMac was sort of of a rush... it makes sense in the MacBook, but i have the slight impression that the **real iMac 2006** will use those Conroe;s...

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
dunno bout this..

i dont know, just because apple switched to intel, i dont think it will interfere with thier product release methodology. I dont think were are gonna see new macs every tuesday when a new processor comes out. I think we are still going to see the average product cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.