Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chances of Apple Giving Me a New MacBook

• They will probably replace it with a new Mac given circumstances

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
So I've finally after almost three years of ownership have begun to have issues with my 2017 non Touch Bar MacBook Pro. To begin, each key feels completely different from one another. I haven't had any issues with double letters or no response until today with my f3 mission control key. It won't respond at all unless you jam it, even then it doesn't hardly move at all. I rely on this MacBook for college every single day. All of my classes are online and I am off campus so I don't have access to any other computers. I refuse to purchase an intel Mac and I'm probably going to buy one of the new Apple Silicon Mac's later this year.

So my question is, if I take this MacBook Pro to my Apple Store, is there any chance they'd feel bad for me and give me a 2020 MacBook Pro with the magic keyboard as a replacement? I cannot be without this computer at all and risk losing all my data either with a top case replacement.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Not unless it’s the third time they’ve repaired it...

you’ll get it back in like 2-3 days

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Zero chance imo. They’ll repair it if it’s still covered under the kb replacement program. I would try to get a genius appt for Fri morning at Apple Store. A lot of places can do 24 hr repairs, and you maximize your chances going on Fri that you get it back over the weekend.

And make sure you do a backup right before taking in. I recently did this with my 2016 13” MBP and got it back Sat.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
You can always try the grind method to free up the key. Press and rock your finger around. It will sometime free up the key for a few weeks. And you should also start backing up your data. You could drop the computer and be SOL with a backup. I heard since schools are giving tests as take-home exams, many are not accepting late submissions for equipment failures.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Typically they won't replace it for a new device right away. From my understanding, they will just repair and replace just the keyboard. Now if you had the same issue for more than 3 times and you politely ask the Manager, then at that point they may.

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012
I got a new system from Apple not long ago. My 16 inch MBP had some display issues, and they just gave me a brand new 16 incher. I was really surprised. I have to think that was rare, though. But I traded it in for a 2019 13 inch, and I've hated this thing ever since. The keyboard is truly awful. I'll wait til the fall when I'll get back to a 16 inch and get an ARM processor.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
risk losing all my data either with a top case replacement.
Do you really not have your data backed up?

edit: just realized this is an old thread -- point still stands though, if you're a single hardware failure away from "losing all your data" then you are just asking for trouble. Backup is easier and cheaper than ever these days.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Do you really not have your data backed up?

edit: just realized this is an old thread -- point still stands though, if you're a single hardware failure away from "losing all your data" then you are just asking for trouble. Backup is easier and cheaper than ever these days.
And remember, when, not if, such a person loses everything... it will of course be everyone's fault but theirs.

I have no sympathy for such people. None at all.

Reactions: ignatius345

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Can’t speak for the OP, but Apple has successively replaced my 2012 (launch day) 15” rMBP over the years with a Late 2013 15”, and now my current 15” 2018 model. All have had graphics card issues, and with the 2013 model, total SSD failure (thank god for Time Machine!). The 2018 is an absolute POS though - my battery is shot after only 2.5 yrs, it overheats to the point of causing the wifi card to spontaneously disconnect if the machine gets too hot, and the integrated Intel 630 is crap (the UI is very sluggish). Apple will step up, but it does take successive repairs.

I really hope the OP was successful in getting a new machine, hopefully one of the Apple Silicon Macs (which is a return to form for Apple)...

Psychbum

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I had a 13" 2017 MBP Touch Bar, this got replaced due to the USB C ports failing twice (they kept becoming loose to the point devices disconnected, and the charger wouldn't stay connected to charge) - It was replaced with a brand new M1 MBP!

Was very impressed that a purchase from 2018 (refurb machine from apple) was replaced with a brand new 2020 M1 model.

Must add, I am in the UK and they allowed the consumer laws to kick in and allow a replacement. Took 1 week in total from request to receipt of new machine.

Apple in my experience do everything they can to fix/repair, but twice for the same issue was not something I was happy with! So senior advisor ordered new one immediately. (I didn't have to even get aggressive or unreasonable).

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I had a 13" 2017 MBP Touch Bar, this got replaced due to the USB C ports failing twice (they kept becoming loose to the point devices disconnected, and the charger wouldn't stay connected to charge) - It was replaced with a brand new M1 MBP!

Was very impressed that a purchase from 2018 (refurb machine from apple) was replaced with a brand new 2020 M1 model.

Must add, I am in the UK and they allowed the consumer laws to kick in and allow a replacement. Took 1 week in total from request to receipt of new machine.

Apple in my experience do everything they can to fix/repair, but twice for the same issue was not something I was happy with! So senior advisor ordered new one immediately. (I didn't have to even get aggressive or unreasonable).

Apple tends to do the right thing. I’m waiting for the M1X 16” to launch so that I can bring my 2018 15” in (which has a shot battery, issues with the keyboard, and weird graphics issues going on).

Enjoy the M1!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.