Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Will I get different keys when having a Macbook-Pro-15"-2019 Butterfly-Keyboard replacement done in a non-equal-to-purchase country?

*Bought in Japan, repair in Germany ...German store does not offer Japanese keyboards in any product, so I do wonder if they could replace Jap-keys or would just swap the whole topcase with a German keyboard

1688646721938.jpeg

1688646717160.jpeg

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Ask the store… “Maybe” they can special-order a Japanese top-case and “Maybe” it’ll arrive before the Mac goes Vintage?

Chances are, you’re going to be stuck with an ISO keyboard though, unless you want to ship the Mac back to Japan and have someone there take care of the repair.

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Ask the store… “Maybe” they can special-order a Japanese top-case and “Maybe” it’ll arrive before the Mac goes Vintage?

Chances are, you’re going to be stuck with an ISO keyboard though, unless you want to ship the Mac back to Japan and have someone there take care of the repair.

What I wonder is how they would deal with the actual aluminum cutouts for the keys. If they do not replace the actual aluminum but only the keyboard part, they would be forced to use Japanese keys because the German layout simply would not fit...

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
What I wonder is how they would deal with the actual aluminum cutouts for the keys. If they do not replace the actual aluminum but only the keyboard part, they would be forced to use Japanese keys because the German layout simply would not fit...
Keyboard replacements involve the entire top-case so that shouldn't be a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.