Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I took a couple butterfly shots that I thought were pretty decent with my Canon Powershot S1 IS this summer. I can't wait until I get to try out my Fujifilm S9000 with similar shots this summer. I reduced the size by 50% to be able to attach to the thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 184

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
seenew said:
Very nice depth of field. I would run a Sharpen filter over them in PS, though.

Sharpening in PS may look to fake, the images are quite good how they are. My suggestion for future shots would be to stop down the aperture a bit (say f5.6 or f8 light allowing). This would allow you to get more of the butterfly in focus while still maintaining a blurred background, which would fall off due to distance. You may not get quite the degree of blur back there with a smaller aperture (higher #) but it would help get more of the subject in focus.

The first picture, the butterflies' head is quite sharp, but the tip of its wings are a bit soft....again solved by aperture if applicable. The second image is a bit soft everywhere, but not bad. It looks a bit like camera shake as there is not really a single point that stands out as "sharp". Overall though, I really like the pictures, amazing detail on both the flower and the butterfly, nice work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.