Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxphotos1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2020
Italy
Recently I tried a Samsung X5 external Nvme M.2 SSD, connected via Thunderbolt 3 to an end-2017 Imac, pumped up on steroids with 64 Gb Ram (OWC 2666 Mhz DDR4 SODIMM PC4-21400). Yes the 2666 Mhz are working even it that model is using 2400 Mhz originally (the advantage, in case you buy a new Imac is that you can still use that RAM).

I then cloned the hard disk (working with Fusion 1 Tb hd = I read 24 Gb blade memory Nvme M2 + the rest with a standard SSD (I guess) or 3,5 HD (I fear !) and set up the Samsung X5 as new boot driver.
The performance of the original Fusion drive (using Blackmagic Speed test) were around 1000 Mb (writing) and 1300 reading, more or less.

Question: What I have in that Fusion configuration ? NvMe M2 + SSD or NvMe M2 + 3,5 old hard disk ?? How can I find out ?

Booting from Samsung X5 via TB3, I see more or less these speeds: Writing (2000 Mb/s), reading (2300 Mb/s).
The system is much faster and responsive then before. Boot time is even faster than before (probably 30% - 40% faster).
The whole system is very nice to use and the temperature on X5 is not that high (photo editing, watching video, standard tasks).

It is clear that the NVme M2 SSD via TB3 is making the difference.

Buying Option, as far as I understood:

1) Fusion drive: NvMe M2 of different sizes (depending if you choose 1 Tb or 2 Tb).
2) SSD drive without fusion (speed = 500 Mb/s).

Question:
Regarding point 2, will it be a standard SSD connected via SATA III (6 Gb/s) or will it be a PCIe Nvme M2 blade drive ? or both ??

Considering the high speed that you can reach with PCIe (directly on the mother board), it would be a pity to buy a new Imac without taking full advantage of the best possible configurations in term of speed.

I know it will be possible to open it up, disassemble every single part and install a Samsung 970 Evo plus NvMe M2 drive but NOBODY would be happy to to this operation on a brand new machine (loosing then warranty).

On the other machine (MacBook PRO 16"), as a standard configuration, I get this speeds: Write (3200 Mb/s) and read (3600 Mb/s), probably because there is the NvMe drive (plus processor, other chips and other technologies I guess).

Does anybody know if possible to order the Imac with 500 Gb NvMe M2 drive + standard SSD 1 Gb for example (no fusion) ?
Or this is perhaps approaching the Imac Pro configuration ?

Your opinions more than welcome !

Max

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I believe the 1tb fusion drive in a 2017 iMac consists of:
- 24gb (or 32gb?) Apple proprietary blade SSD
and
- 1tb 3.5" platter-based hard drive.

Not sure what components could be used to upgrade the SSD portion.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
If you buy a mac with an SSD, it's a blade SSD.
If you buy a mac with a fusion drive, it's a small blade SSD paired with a hard drive (probably 7200rpm). The larger fusion drives use 128 GB SSDs. The 1TB fusion uses a smaller one (either 32 or 24 GB, depending on generation).

If you buy a mac with hard drive, it's going to be slow.

I'm currently using a 1TB SSD connected via USB 3. Not screamingly fast, but better than a fusion drive. Main problem might well be lack of Trim support.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Does anybody know if possible to order the Imac with 500 Gb NvMe M2 drive + standard SSD 1 Gb for example (no fusion) ?
You can only order the iMac with either a Fusion Drive or an SSD. I don't recommend the Fusion Drive models to anyone- just get the SSD, and connect any additional hard drive storage through USB 3.

Reactions: gilby101

majaca

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2013
You can only order the iMac with either a Fusion Drive or an SSD. I don't recommend the Fusion Drive models to anyone- just get the SSD, and connect any additional hard drive storage through USB 3.
why don't you recommend the fusion to anyone? I just made a thread on this....?

majaca

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2013
If you buy a mac with an SSD, it's a blade SSD.
If you buy a mac with a fusion drive, it's a small blade SSD paired with a hard drive (probably 7200rpm). The larger fusion drives use 128 GB SSDs. The 1TB fusion uses a smaller one (either 32 or 24 GB, depending on generation).

If you buy a mac with hard drive, it's going to be slow.

I'm currently using a 1TB SSD connected via USB 3. Not screamingly fast, but better than a fusion drive. Main problem might well be lack of Trim support.
what is 'trim support'?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.