Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you've had your current gen MBP for over 1yr have you had major problems (flexgate,keyboard)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
My mid-2014 MBP13 is not as graceful as it used to be. I need more RAM since I've shifted all of my computing from my Windows PC to my Mac. Also, I'm running a 4K display and the fans seem to be running very loud now.

So, I'm in the market for a new MBP and I don't know if I should get a 2018 model, buy a used 2015 model (15"), or wait for the new 2019 model.

I've read the flexgate thread and I've seen the new ifixit video that shows the longer display cable so it seems that issue may have been resolved but the keyboard still seems to be an issue.

I'm here to ask you what you would do if you were in my position. If you could complete the poll that I created, it would be very helpful because if the issues have not been fixed for the current gen, then it would be easier for me (and others reading this thread/poll) to decide as well.

Thanks

Edit: I forgot to mention that I would be buying a 2015 MBP 15" 16GB RAM and a Core I7-4770HQ. I currently have a 2014 MBP 13" 8GB with a Core I5-4278U.

Last edited:

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
I'd wait to see if they release a new keyboard in the 2019 model. The 2015 is a great laptop, but it's 4 years old at this point, and even then I think the cpu was like a year behind.

Reactions: Sunshower

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
IF you can "hold out", I'd suggest waiting for a 2019 MacBook Pro release.

Just keep plugging along with the 2014 for a little while longer.

Reactions: Sunshower

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
IF you can "hold out", I'd suggest waiting for a 2019 MacBook Pro release.

Just keep plugging along with the 2014 for a little while longer.
I'd further add to that the 2015 model is not going to be a major jump in performance for OP over the 2014 he/she already has.

I'd hold out to see what the rumored 16.5" MacBook Pro redesign will look like before upgrading to the current gen.

Having said that, I have not had any hardware issues on my 2017 13" MBP with Touch Bar, and I can run dual 25" 1440P monitors with no issue, so I'd suspect it would work well for you as well if you decide to go with the current gen.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I'd further add to that the 2015 model is not going to be a major jump in performance for OP over the 2014 he/she already has.

I'd hold out to see what the rumored 16.5" MacBook Pro redesign will look like before upgrading to the current gen.

Having said that, I have not had any hardware issues on my 2017 13" MBP with Touch Bar, and I can run dual 25" 1440P monitors with no issue, so I'd suspect it would work well for you as well if you decide to go with the current gen.

Good to know that you don't have any issues. I forgot to mention that I would be looking into a 2015 15" 16GB and a Quad Core I7-4770HQ. So even the 2015 would be a boost.

Reactions: Painter2002

AppleTrap

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2018
I sold my 5 month old 2018 MBP 15" after I heard Apple's apology and went back to using my mom's 2011 MBA 11" cause she was hardly using it. I just did not want to take the risk of dealing with a faulty keyboard down the line. I will wait it out as much as I can this year till Black Friday. If Apple has not reversed course, then I will get myself a nice Thinkpad.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I bought my 2016 nTB (512/16 config) on release and have had no problems. As I've mentioned before in other threads, I use it daily and have had no keyboard, screen, or other issues. In fact, it's been more reliable than the 2012 15" rMBP that it replaced. I hope to get a few more years out of it before I need to upgrade. Dual core is fine for my use and my eGPU has made it so I likely will not need to upgrade that soon.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
Gotta disagree with @Painter2002. The 2015 15" MBP you reference is a quad-core model, whereas your current 2014 is sporting a dual-core CPU. You'll at least double raw performance. And you're also doubling your RAM, which will help you considerably with multi-tasking lots of open programs. I can't speak to new MBP performance, but that 2015 model would be a huge upgrade. Of course there's the warranty to consider, as well as caveat emptor with used hardware.

Reactions: Painter2002

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
2016 13" nTB here.

I have had multiple issues with the keyboard - and had to do some emergency dusting/cleaning to get keys working again. Some of my keys get louder / clicky sounding if the laptop is warm/hot.

However knowing that I will in the future have a problem with flexgate its changed how I use the Macbook on a daily basis. Now, knowing the cable is too short, I dont open it past 90 degrees. This makes me want to use the laptop less as a laptop. I'm also annoyed with Apple not addressing this sooner. This is a problem that will only worsen with time - but those of us trapped in limbo have to 'worry' about opening it each time. This isnt a way to enjoy a laptop - especially one that you pay premium money for low specs.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Gotta disagree with @Painter2002. The 2015 15" MBP you reference is a quad-core model, whereas your current 2014 is sporting a dual-core CPU. You'll at least double raw performance. And you're also doubling your RAM, which will help you considerably with multi-tasking lots of open programs. I can't speak to new MBP performance, but that 2015 model would be a huge upgrade. Of course there's the warranty to consider, as well as caveat emptor with used hardware.
I had actually overlooked the part about OP going to a 15”, and I agree with you here. Jumping from the dual core 13” to quad core 15” definitely will be a boost, however if still say wait and see what the summer brings. Personally I still have a hard time justifying buying a 4 year old computer, especially if a redesign is ok the horizon.

Reactions: imrazor

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
However knowing that I will in the future have a problem with flexgate its changed how I use the Macbook on a daily basis.

I'd bet that the discomfort caused of you worrying is orders of magnitude higher than the chance that you will actually see any display issues.

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
I'd bet that the discomfort caused of you worrying is orders of magnitude higher than the chance that you will actually see any display issues.

there isnt a randomness to this / luck of the draw - this is a wear issue. because its not designed correctly the more times its opened the faster it will wear out. the further I open it - the faster it will wear out.

my usage confidence is knowing apple will back their ****up - then i dont care anymore. until they admit the issue and extend the warranty Im just trying to get by without getting into it with Apple over their bs.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
My brother has had a bad go with the keyboard on his 2016 and I'm in a similar bind as you. I have a 2013 rMBP running on 4GB of soldered RAM. I need a new computer for work desperately, but I'm holding out through the fall. If corrections don't seem to have been made by then I'll buy a different laptop, but continue using my other Apple products. It is frustrating, though.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
2016 13" nTB here.

I have had multiple issues with the keyboard - and had to do some emergency dusting/cleaning to get keys working again. Some of my keys get louder / clicky sounding if the laptop is warm/hot.

However knowing that I will in the future have a problem with flexgate its changed how I use the Macbook on a daily basis. Now, knowing the cable is too short, I dont open it past 90 degrees. This makes me want to use the laptop less as a laptop. I'm also annoyed with Apple not addressing this sooner. This is a problem that will only worsen with time - but those of us trapped in limbo have to 'worry' about opening it each time. This isnt a way to enjoy a laptop - especially one that you pay premium money for low specs.
How the heck are you able to use you MacBook Pro at no more than a 90 degree angle? You’d have to have it stacked a tall stand or a bunch of books to avoid neck cramps.

The way I see it, at some point Apple will announce a product repair program, and you won’t have to worry about it. Even if they didn’t, isn’t a chiropractic dr’s office visit cost more than getting the screen fixed? This is why I bought AppleCare, so that if any issues happened I’d be covered for three years, and after that if any recurring issues came up they’d release a repair program that’d cover it at least up to four years.

Not saying Apple has addressed this in the right way, they should have already started a repair program, but at some point they will. And I acknowledge that being without a computer for a few days to a week is troublesome for many professionals.

I just refuse to use my computer any less than it was intended to be able to be used. Why have a laptop if your not going to open the screen to a reasonable angle? Maybe a different brand laptop or a desktop is a better solution than hurting your neck and straining your eyes. Just saying.

Reactions: smirking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.