Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maccotto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Hello
i want buy my first iphone because i have ipad and macbook pro, so the idea to use continuity and a new OS system is very fine for me.
In this moment i am happy for my Mate 9 pro and i want a similar choice .

In this moment i have this ideas:
1) take an iphone 6 or 6s for try and if i love it i will buy 8+ or 7+ next months . The iphone 6/6s will be a gift for my mother/father
2) buy iphone 7+/8+ directly with my full budget (about 800€) and take the risk

About iphone what is a good size?
I wanna go for 128-256 gb but my friend told me (He has a 128gb) that today iphone use a lot of icloud service. He told me that iphone store photos movie and others in cloud service and left only the necessary space .

So what do you think?
I will use for whatsapp, web search feed/reader, some games and RAW photos (I will make rarely videos). For photos i work also with lightroom mobile for fix and share photos.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Your idea of trying with a 6S & then upgrade to a better model sounds good.

iOS does use iCloud service to store data and makes it available across other Apple devices without any hassle. Lightroom has similar cloud setup if you use their cloud service as well.

Depending on how many pictures you take in one session and how much cloud space you’re willing to pay for, it would be your choice of going 128GB or less.

There’s also a specific option in both iOS and Mac OS - Optimise storage, which ensures to keep most of your pictures on iCloud and only the recent / most used pictures on your device for quick and easy access. This doesn’t mean you don’t have access to the old pictures. You’ll see a thumbnail in your photo gallery and tapping on it will download the full resolution image from iCloud on to your device.

If you’re not so sure then 128GB is a safe bet.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
The difference between a 6s+ and a 7+ is $100. (Sorry - I don’t have the euro pricing here).

The 6s is only available in capacities of 32GB and 128GB. 32 is way, way too small. You will be unhappy with that,especially editing RAW, more so if those are photos you have shot on some other camera.

Personally, I would opt for the 7+, 256 GB. Then I would wait to see what Apple does with the iPhone X form factor over the next year.

All of that said, I think you will enjoy having continuity between all of your devices.

Reactions: akash.nu

Maccotto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Iphone 6s 128 gb is 569-659€, the + version 769€ only from Apple Store.
Iphone 7 is strange because the 128gb normal is 679€ the + instead 870-900€
Iphone 8 more crazy because the normal 256gb is 869€ instead + edition 959€ (only 64gb is rich of offert and its find 850€ plus and 750 normal)

Iphone 7+ 256 is bad because i can't found and some prizes are crazy (909-950€ !)

What do you think is a good choice?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
If you’re into phone photography then get the plus model either way. That dual camera setup helps a lot.

6S is still going strong with its 2GB RAM but if budget permits then look at the 7 series. If not, then stick to the 6S.

128GB or more will be fine for you.

Reactions: riverfreak

Maccotto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Today i will check and i will go to 7+ if i can buy it.
Tell me a thing, the 8+ is same of 7+ but he has some more feature:
1) processor
2) glass back
3) color automatically change

Camera is the same?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Today i will check and i will go to 7+ if i can buy it.
Tell me a thing, the 8+ is same of 7+ but he has some more feature:
1) processor
2) glass back
3) color automatically change

Camera is the same?

Camera on the 8+ is a little better than the 7+ but that alone won’t justify the extra money you have to spend to get it.

Watch some of these videos.

Maccotto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
I will be crazy but my father give me an help and I will bought tomorrow the X.
I know and hate but expensive things, my father wanted for me the best technology and see iPhone 7/8 as old models.

The iPhone X is nice but very expensive. I will take 256 gb grey, also if the 64 gb is more cheap.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
The 64gb is around $150 cheaper than the 256gb. It’s up to you to determine if an extra 192gb is worth that price. Keep in mind, the operating system takes up a decent chunk on it’s own. I wanna say around 5-7gb, but I could be wrong. I went 64gb for myself and my wife, but probably would have gone 128gb if it was an option. 256 is overkill for us, and I would say for most users.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I will be crazy but my father give me an help and I will bought tomorrow the X.
I know and hate but expensive things, my father wanted for me the best technology and see iPhone 7/8 as old models.

The iPhone X is nice but very expensive. I will take 256 gb grey, also if the 64 gb is more cheap.

Buy whatever you can but please enlighten your father regarding the 8 series NOT being old. The 8 plus has exactly the same internals as the X.

The only differences are -

- OLED screen instead of LCD (good or bad is subjective)
- Face ID instead of Touch ID (good or bad is subjective)
- OIS on the telephoto lens at the back. (No extra benefit unless you shoot 2x zoomed in videos, rare use case)
- Animoji, not available on 8 Plus (Personally, I don’t see the point and usage )

Maccotto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Buy whatever you can but please enlighten your father regarding the 8 series NOT being old. The 8 plus has exactly the same internals as the X.

The only differences are -

- OLED screen instead of LCD (good or bad is subjective)
- Face ID instead of Touch ID (good or bad is subjective)
- OIS on the telephoto lens at the back. (No extra benefit unless you shoot 2x zoomed in videos, rare use case)
- Animoji, not available on 8 Plus (Personally, I don’t see the point and usage )

I know akash but my father isn’t alone and other friends told me same things.
I think that iPhone 8 is a great phone but Apple worked bad with spot and tv .

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I know akash but my father isn’t alone and other friends told me same things.
I think that iPhone 8 is a great phone but Apple worked bad with spot and tv .

You can’t really complain as X is a better device to some extent but saying 8 series is old is absolutely incorrect.

Maccotto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
I bought iPhone X 256 gb.
Its a nice smartphone and very innovative with Face ID. Display is big also if iPhone plus are more large.
Thx all for tips and all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.