Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msett

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Yes, I know you probably cant. But is there anywhere I could get a hole of a G5 Processor. I want to build one myself is possible. Also is there anywhere I should look for Power Mac's G5 used? They are all so exspensive on ebay for even used ones. I would love one if I could ever afford it.:(

Matt

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Nope, stuck with Apple ...

And if you look at the http://www.970eval.com website, the G5 is insanely complex to use -- which killed the white box market and it's use in embedded systems.

Basically it's Apple or nothing -- in fact some of the companies that signed contracts to build machines using the G5 exited the business entirely :p .

Edit: with the G3 and G4, you didn't need to use any parts from Apple to build a PPC system -- but you cannot get away from it on the G5.

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
I was sure i read an article posted on this forum, showing someone who did just that. Bought parts off ebay to build a G5 (mainboard, case etc)... or maybe it was to upgrade an original G5 :confused:. I remember something about it not working at the correct speed so he had to mess with it..

Anyhow. MacMini... best bet if you are after something simular to a PowerMac (as in no head and no inbuilt screen) or you could look in the refurbished sites - you can actually get Single CPU 1.8 for a quite reasonable price (a lot less than say a dual g5 2ghz).

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
RobHague said:
I was sure i read an article posted on this forum, showing someone who did just that. Bought parts off ebay to build a G5 (mainboard, case etc)... or maybe it was to upgrade an original G5 :confused:. I remember something about it not working at the correct speed so he had to mess with it..

Anyhow. MacMini... best bet if you are after something simular to a PowerMac (as in no head and no inbuilt screen) or you could look in the refurbished sites - you can actually get Single CPU 1.8 for a quite reasonable price (a lot less than say a dual g5 2ghz).
And one of the dudes from Momentum gave his a huge long technical direction on how to meld the mismatched parts and get the machine running right.

Look at BBoettjer's posts

Even Apple parts from eBay may not be a piece of cake.

Edit: Same original poster user name on here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.