Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applegoldfish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2022
Hello lovely people of Macrumors, I have an iPod Nano 7th gen (2015) which is almost on its last legs, and I'm considering buying a new iPhone 12 Mini 64GB to use it as iPod touch w/o sim and only on Wi-Fi. I'll be using Apple music and offline saved music for non Wi-Fi zones. My prime reason to pick 12 Mini is because of its small size. The small size is a major factor for me, and I've considered the new iPhone SE (2016) 32GB, but it's way too old and sourcing a battery down the road will be hard.

I will purely be using it for music only and no other apps at all.

Kindly give your suggestions which iPhone is best to make it as iPod. I can even put downloaded flacs from Qobuz on my iPod for offline use.

Thank you!

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
That would work very easily, though to be honest, if it's single purpose is JUST for Apple Music and your personal FLAC files, and you have no intention to use it for anything else and use no other apps or services, I would buy a cheap android phone or even something like a used LG V20 or something with a higher-end DAC + microSD card slot. Apple Music supports Hi-Res lossless and realistically you'll have much more flexibility with the option for features like a system wide customizable EQ and whatnot.

Reactions: applegoldfish

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
If you want a cheap iPhone with longest software support, the iPhone SE (2022) might be worth considering.
Should be one of the cheapest options and not much bigger than the 12 Mini.

Reactions: N69AP and zecanard

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
Hello lovely people of Macrumors, I have an iPod Nano 7th gen (2015) which is almost on its last legs, and I'm considering buying a new iPhone 12 Mini 64GB to use it as iPod touch w/o sim and only on Wi-Fi. I'll be using Apple music and offline saved music for non Wi-Fi zones. My prime reason to pick 12 Mini is because of its small size. The small size is a major factor for me, and I've considered the new iPhone SE (2016) 32GB, but it's way too old and sourcing a battery down the road will be hard.

I will purely be using it for music only and no other apps at all.

Kindly give your suggestions which iPhone is best to make it as iPod. I can even put downloaded flacs from Qobuz on my iPod for offline use.

Thank you!

You use phone too right? Just buy a iPhone mini with maximum storage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.