Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

briegull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I was helping a friend with an ipad air she was given a few months ago. I downloaded the Kindle app from the App Store, no problem. Connected her to Amazon via Safari and she set up an account but Amazon said she couldn't set one-click up there, she had to do it on a real computer. Ok. Let's forget that.

I went to the App Store and looked for the Kindle Store app (which I have on my ipad, and which works there). IT IS NOT THERE.

I downloaded the AMAZON STORE app and went to the Kindle Store. I chose a book. And I go the message "This mobile application does not currently support digital downloads. Add this item to your Wish list and you can view and purchase it from your computer."

I have verified this on my own ipad. Apparently there is no current APP with which to buy Kindle books on iOS. It IS possible, I THINK, to buy them by going through Safari to their website.

What's going on here?

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
The ability to buy a book through an app was removed years ago when Apple insisted on charging Amazon 30% of each sale, just like all other in-app purchases.
You can buy Amazon e-books from your phone or iPad by using a web browser and going to the regular Amazon website.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Amazon didn't want to pay apple 30% on the sale of ebooks when done through the in app purchase so it was removed. It's a pain, but you have to go amazon, buy it, then have it pushed to your app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.